Enticing and exciting gear photographs

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Re: Enticing and exciting gear photographs

Post by Indeterminacy »

conrad schnitzler.jpg
Viewed 1090 times
Conrad-Schnitzler field rig.jpg
Viewed 1090 times
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Indeterminacy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:35 pm Pignose amp? Mike Mathews?
NoiseWiki wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:05 pm Image
From what I recall he was only described as a busker... I was wondering how the Wasp was powered.. I mean I guess a battery but it's not obvious in the pic
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

I know I've posted the 55B before, but I finally dug out the DR-55 after it got buried under a FracRak case I still haven't got a power supply for and a bunch of other shit. I even managed to get them in sync after about 10 minutes of trying to manually line up their tempos, which can now never be changed again:
Great sounds I'm not qualified to do anything with... :flamingbanana:
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Beautiful machines!
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

They really are a pleasure to work with, even if I never evolve beyond the stage of mediocre bedroom sketch time-wasters. :jerkoff:

Putting cool sounds and UI aside (There's a lot to be said for the ergonomic/performative feel of many of the controls) entirely, I think part of what makes them so enjoyable is that they are just complex enough to be absorbing without feeling overwhelming or downright impenetrable, maybe. Trying to set up interesting and musical pattern changes from memory is also part of the fun. I haven't really memorized the KR's patterns well enough to "jam" very effectively, though it's still fun to try.

I realize there's not much in the way of programming with the KR-55B, but I think it, the DR-55, despite its own relatively shallow waters in terms of programmability and the Mirage are probably some of my favorite pieces of equipment I've ever personally used for the sheer zen mode of programming them. I could even compare using them to tuning out the ever-present whine of self-oscillation in order to coax a nice, crunchy wall texture out of a feedback loop. This is where I am most happy, and also a part of why I never finish any actual songs.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

That sounded delightfully thick and warm.

Definitely keepers.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

looks beefy. I thought you were relatively poor, what happened? did you murder your evil mother, then inherit?

since my psychotic illness I have lost all sense of rhythm. I have to guess what a beat is, which is kinda weird. a small executive function which excuses me from dancing forever haha
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

drift wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:31 am looks beefy. I thought you were relatively poor, what happened? did you murder your evil mother, then inherit?

since my psychotic illness I have lost all sense of rhythm. I have to guess what a beat is, which is kinda weird. a small executive function which excuses me from dancing forever haha
I got a "real" job (I didn't have a job at all for a long time, going full-NEET mode for several years). It even used to pay fairly well before inflation got so much worse. No evil mother or fat inheritance waiting (I think I'm probably the evil one. I'm a hard person to live with in terms of sheer pessimism and alcoholic backsliding alone). All my money goes into buying gear/booze/books and other distractions. All just a way to insulate myself from thinking too much about future catastrophes, or even worrying about possibly attending to some of the bigger holes in the dike in the short term.

I will never be stable/healthy enough mentally/emotionally, or earn enough to own a home and be self-sufficient and live by myself, being that I am unworthy and even incapable of setting goals or sustaining intimate relationships. It's better to just have what fun I can now while I wait to die in captivity. I will just keep eating her food and piggybacking on her Hulu account and being an ungrateful asshole until one of us dies.

I never really had much sense of rhythm, which is another part of why I never finish songs beyond single bars that I tweak and sloppily jam over for hours on end to no avail. Maybe I should stop.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

yeah I get that .. my existence isn't much fun.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

by which I only mean I get what NEET status and living with parents is like, that's all. not gonna pretend I get your precise anything