Enticing and exciting gear photographs

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: Enticing and exciting gear photographs

Post by crochambeau »

NoiseWiki wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:09 pm Holy shit.. what was this from?
No clue, I saved it from my uncle's outgoing pile. It has about 96K of memory in 4K chunks, some interface logic, etc. I expect it was an early 80's hobbyist computer build that no one could bear to actually throw away because of the obvious amounts of work that went into it.

I'd love to see the build notes on this thing.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

crochambeau wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:26 am
NoiseWiki wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:09 pm Holy shit.. what was this from?
No clue, I saved it from my uncle's outgoing pile. It has about 96K of memory in 4K chunks, some interface logic, etc. I expect it was an early 80's hobbyist computer build that no one could bear to actually throw away because of the obvious amounts of work that went into it.

I figured it was a memory bank ..crazy! I'd put that on my wall.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

crochambeau wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:26 am I expect it was an early 80's hobbyist computer build that no one could bear to actually throw away because of the obvious amounts of work that went into it.

The glory days. All that work.

I actually enjoyed wire wrapping. Came in handy since it was pretty much a job requirement at certain times..
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

omega-speedmaster-silver-snoopy-anniversary-hands-abtw-19.jpg
iNtox-Z
Noise Artist

Post by iNtox-Z »

IMG_20210129_113813.jpg
Rabbit Girls
Noiser

Post by Rabbit Girls »

Not sure if this belongs here or in DIY? I dunno, I find it enticing and exciting! Here is the ever-evolving staple of my rig. All built with junk I had laying around, some of it for years. The only purchased items are the Crank Sturgeon contact mics. It's an old metal chair frame so perfect for noise it's just hard to explain how fucking awesome. First off, it's welded metal, super sturdy but very lightweight. There are flat metal brackets where the cushions used to attach to the frame which are perfect for clipping the contact mics to. Holes all around the frame where screws went and are perfect for stretching springs around. And to top it off the wooden arm pieces are great for all kinds of things. The one on the right I turned in to a simple stringed instrument.

My most recent modification this weekend has been inspired by the stuff AMULETS, (Randall Taylor) is doing with tape and tape loops. If you are not familiar with his stuff, check it out, seriously good. I want to explore the same type of thing with harsher noises and more violent/chaotic sounds... so, I bolted two metal mounting plates from an old mixer to each of the wooden arms. It makes the perfect platform for all kinds of fun tape loop exploration. I'm still experimenting with how it's all going to work but the walkman is modified and ready to go. I found LEGOs of all things to be really helpful in making easily attached and height-adjustable parts to guide the tape around. I still have some LEGOs from when I was a kid and here I am now still building shit with them. Also things I've had around for decades, the small metal spindle thingys are decorative pieces I used to steal out of old elevators when I was a teenager. I've had them kicking around for over 30 years now. Something in the back of my head at the time told me I needed them and they were going to be perfect for something, someday. Finally. Finally I am using them. I felt kinda bad grabbing them, but oh well.
IMG_9842.JPG
IMG_9849.JPG
IMG_9848.JPG
IMG_9870.JPG
IMG_9868.JPG
IMG_9853.JPG
"His possessions multiplied, and he began to suffocate."
https://rabbitgirls.bandcamp.com
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

fender-black-twin-reverb6.jpg
Viewed 1069 times
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

Rabbit Girls wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:19 pm Not sure if this belongs here or in DIY? I dunno, I find it enticing and exciting! Here is the ever-evolving staple of my rig. All built with junk I had laying around, some of it for years. The only purchased items are the Crank Sturgeon contact mics. It's an old metal chair frame so perfect for noise it's just hard to explain how fucking awesome. First off, it's welded metal, super sturdy but very lightweight. There are flat metal brackets where the cushions used to attach to the frame which are perfect for clipping the contact mics to. Holes all around the frame where screws went and are perfect for stretching springs around. And to top it off the wooden arm pieces are great for all kinds of things. The one on the right I turned in to a simple stringed instrument.
Your rig looks amazing, great work! And I see you have one of those stero-field touch pad things too. Nice!
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Firm agree on the cool factor of the Rabbit Girls set-up.

Here's a shot of some more junk from my pile:
telephony_set.JPG
Viewed 1024 times
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/