Death Metal Pedal or GTFO

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

RUBBISH
Merzbish

Re: Death Metal Pedal or GTFO

Post by RUBBISH »

crochambeau wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:36 am
NoiseWiki wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:42 am
Soloman Tump wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:49 am
Disclaimer: I do not (yet) own a death metal pedal - or equivalent. skull
No worries Soloman, I'm in the same boat as you. hahahahaha
I don't and have never had one either.
I mean when people are making clothing out of the dang things...whwre am I g on a get one
place holder
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

RUBBISH wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:15 pmI don't and have never had one either.
I mean when people are making clothing out of the dang things...whwre am I g on a get one
Are you referring to the belt?
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

FAP wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:47 pm
Yeah..the belt and I bet some wise guy has a hat or some shit made out of them.
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:25 pm
FAP wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:47 pm
Yeah..the belt and I bet some wise guy has a hat or some shit made out of them.
I mean they used to be plentiful as if they grew on trees

¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

I finally broke down and ordered a DM. This is the first time I've used one in 6-7 years, if not more! This is surprisingly solid for minimal PE drones with lots of variety possible:
I'm really excited to use this setup in combination with an old preset rhythm box I purchased. Should be here tomorrow. Boner up!

I also broke down and finally bought a Metal Zone, which I haven't used for around as long as the DM. Must. Fill. Voooooiiiiiddddd!
zowozon
Noiser

Post by zowozon »

xc2xbe dead wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:09 am Suggestion: We should start selling DM's back and forth on reverb--at sensible prices--just to try to turn this moronic trend in pricing around.

If anyone's interested in selling an OG DM for $30-$50 USD, feel free to make a listing and let me know before you list it so that I can buy it quickly, before someone else has a chance. Then I can hold it for a few days and sell it back to you, or to another person. Basically, as many people as will agree to this before it eventually gets sold back to the original owner at or below the original sale price. Obviously, this is not something to take part in if you're not willing to throw away a bit of money on postage and diminishing returns.

It could be an idea for a comp, if that incentivizes anyone: One Death Metal to rule them all! Same pedal on all tracks. That, or just having each recipient record the sender's track through the DM pedal, until the same track's been passed through the same DM 2-to-xe2x88x9e times and sounds like absolute dogshit! firedevil

I like both ideas, actually. Two comps for the price of one! nod
how much does it cost for dod/digitech to make a death metal?
are they still selling it?
m
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

Cost to manufacture doesn't really factor in here (not that they would've been expensive to mass-produce; they were designed with mass production in mind). There are, undoubtedly, hundreds of thousands in existence, despite all variants from DOD and DigiTech being now discontinued. So-called real musicians seem to have just recently started "valuing" them as official, real-life Internet Joke Artifacts, thanks to corny fuckwit "influencers" and "wOrSt DiStOrTiOn EvEr!!!" videos on YT, apparently.

Basically, what we're left with is a hideously-expensive novelty/gag item and "Insta" opportunity for anyone foolish enough to pay the asking prices to make yet another *wincing and laughing while playing generic dad-Blues through a metal distortion* demo video. Even the revised DOD versions are priced higher than they really ought to be. The DigiTech variant seems to be the only one you can still get for ~$30 right now.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

xc2xbe dead wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:08 am Cost to manufacture doesn't really factor in here (not that they would've been expensive to mass-produce; they were designed with mass production in mind). There are, undoubtedly, hundreds of thousands in existence, despite all variants from DOD and DigiTech being now discontinued. So-called real musicians seem to have just recently started "valuing" them as official, real-life Internet Joke Artifacts, thanks to corny fuckwit "influencers" and "wOrSt DiStOrTiOn EvEr!!!" videos on YT, apparently.

Basically, what we're left with is a hideously-expensive novelty/gag item and "Insta" opportunity for anyone foolish enough to pay the asking prices to make yet another *wincing and laughing while playing generic dad-Blues through a metal distortion* demo video. Even the revised DOD versions are priced higher than they really ought to be. The DigiTech variant seems to be the only one you can still get for ~$30 right now.
Well one factor of unit cost is quantity produced and how much of that production is automated. Bob made a buzz box clone that I recall cost as much as the collectible original ones were selling for because they were hand built rather than mass produced using a part placing robot, etc

But yea a device with no demand went from junk bin to collectors item a few years. The same thing happened to numerous devices popular with circuit benders. Not only were they in demand but a certain number were getting fried in the process of bending.

I've got a huge stash of what were cheap delay and flange pedals meant for bending but the digitech ones are worth way more on their own now even though they don't sound especially good.. apparently they have that 80s sound?
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

I managed to find a later "B" revision Death Metal for ~65.00 ppd this morning, which I'm... reasonably satisfied with. Even that is not an ideal price, but it's a step in the right direction for DM's in general, I suppose, though that seems to be the lower end of current average prices for the revised DM's with the remodeled DOD footswitch and barrel-style power inputs.

Still looking for the OG at a non-idiot price, though (I'm very serious about the back-and-forth resale idea). The DM in particular has become something of a pet project, but there's only so much heartbreak a man can take! I don't even want to look at prices for other old DOD distortions (i.e., Thrash Master), for obvious reasons. That's another one I miss having around, even though I could barely discern any difference between that and the Metal Maniac... One of each per-channel made for a stellar stereo HNW setup!
iNtox-Z
Noise Artist

Post by iNtox-Z »

Today I got a second death metal pedal !!!
Digitech Death Metal !!!!!

IMG_20200603_141606.jpg
file.jpg