Noise Guitar & Related Conceptual Interpretations

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Re: Noise Guitar & Related Conceptual Interpretations

Post by Indeterminacy »

The Mysterious Creep wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:39 pm
That looks savage, any recordings of that? I'm trying to imagine what it would even sound like beyond the rather hard-to-visualize impression of "the souls of the damned."

And of course, since you haven't answered the implied question from my disclaimer I wait with bated breath for your assessment of my own guitar noise.
Working..................
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

I think we maybe should work on a compilation of Harsh Guitar Noise.

HGN - all ideas all changes all development all entertainment and maybe a little remorse...not much but just enough to make the remorelessness even more remoresless!
place holder
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

I'm happy to contribute if there is a LOOSE timeline (hahaha, why do I bother even making these comments). I'm more compatible with a repository as opposed to a curated collection with deadline.

For example, I need to amplify a piano soundboard before I engender a contribution.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
Rabbit Girls
Noiser

Post by Rabbit Girls »

RUBBISH wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:52 am I think we maybe should work on a compilation of Harsh Guitar Noise.
Count me in for sure.
"His possessions multiplied, and he began to suffocate."
https://rabbitgirls.bandcamp.com
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

crochambeau wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:16 am I'm happy to contribute if there is a LOOSE timeline (hahaha, why do I bother even making these comments). I'm more compatible with a repository as opposed to a curated collection with deadline.

For example, I need to amplify a piano soundboard before I engender a contribution.
It's just an idea but I think would be fun.

Maybe our dear admin will release it on the noisewiki 'label'.

Yes a repository without a serious timeline would be great.
Don't need no dang timeline stress :D
place holder
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

I'd be down. It'd be hardest just to pick an idea to stick with, I use all sorts of different guitar rigs.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:52 am I think we maybe should work on a compilation of Harsh Guitar Noise.
Is this the Random Nightmare thread ;)
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

NoiseWiki wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:33 am
Is this the Random Nightmare thread ;)
Wait....whats that rustling in the posts?
Shhhhh it may be a jilat or a clemmon.
place holder
Rabbit Girls
Noiser

Post by Rabbit Girls »

I made this sillyass thing. It's the arm of an old chair I converted into a very simple stringed instrument. A guitar bridge on one end and some tuning pegs and a trem locking nut on the other. As of yet I haven't even bothered with any pickups. I've just been using it with contact mics and a boost pedal.
IMG_9576.JPG
IMG_9577.JPG
"His possessions multiplied, and he began to suffocate."
https://rabbitgirls.bandcamp.com
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

Just a bit of a lesson I've learned with Noise Guitar that I think should be somewhere on the internet: When you're playing noise guitar, envelope filters plus high output distortions or fuzzes are invaluable. I've always sought out synthy Japanese noise textures (a la Merzbow) with the greater chaos and unpredictability of physical manipulation (in this case, input sound generated via guitar strings rather than oscillators), and envelope filters plus something like the Death Metal take you straight into classic Harsh Noise territory. The Digitech Bass Synth Wah is particularly good on the Sub Envelope setting (2), which when dimed after a DM (tone controls to taste past 12 o'clock, I like to scoop mine a bit, volume somewhere left of 11 o'clock) spews sputtering blasts of static and deep bass rumble as the envelope overloads under the extreme volume (I presume that's what's happening, anyway). Experimenting with my recently-accquired Zoom MS-70's filter/autowah selection has produced some real scorchers as well, such as stacking together bass wahs tuned high and low pass. Sometimes I combined that with the Sawtooth synth effect that it also has, but it's pretty ugly just on its own. I don't have a wah, so I can't speak to all filters, but as I said before it seems like Envelopes are an essential component because of how they can't handle high input volumes. Definitely worth trying if you do noise guitar with a DM, HM-2, or similar extreme volume-boosting dirt. You have to hit the envelope extremely hard, otherwise the filter will often just lock into an extreme high or low pitch.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair