Noise Guitar & Related Conceptual Interpretations

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

Phogmasheeen
Noiser

Re: Noise Guitar & Related Conceptual Interpretations

Post by Phogmasheeen »

I appreciate that when your gear re-interpets how it will perform it is disappointing, unexpected and a test. How the performer responds to gear failure has a lot to do with how quickly they can think on their feet. If you only have one source of sound, you might consider adding other options. A more resilient setup with multiple sound generators might allow you to build a work-around to deal with the "failed" component.
Although show biz axioms are a bit tired. They exist for a reason. In "show biz" to show weakness, disappointment or accept failure is not an option. "The show must go on" for a reason, that is to create the illusion in the viewers mind that you have something to say and you have your shit together.

My shit fails all the time at the worst possible moment. I did a set in a rainstorm and my pedals were failing one at a time the whole time. The show was me screaming at them to get back in the game. If there was no sound from any of the electronic gear, I would have hit rocks together and screamed.

The bottom line is, plan, expect disaster, practice your setup. bring extra everything, cords for sure. Then when your set starts, get on the ride and see where it goes. With that kind of expectation, it is all fun!
crochambeau wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:45 am
Phogmasheeen wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:49 pm Failed in what way?

Did it make no sound?
Electro-acoustic assemblies can turn into one note only yell in a room with a PA whereas they can be a deeply articulate voice in more controlled settings, I would speculate the possibility that the resulting instrument reacted entirely different than intended/expected/hoped for.

I've lost count of how many times I've played or watched someone play an improvised instrument in a live setting that has "failed" to meet the intended performance due to aspects outside the control of those involved (short of turning the fucking PA down or pulling off a field repair).

Many times it's a fun exercise in adaptation, other times it's a complete downer/failure. Experiments are like that.
Not a team player. Doesn't take unsolicited advice. Otherwise charming...
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Yeah, I'm not debating that stance, I'm just saying there might be a wider interpretation of what the variable "failure" means in a given framework. Wasn't my post though, so I see no point in hammering on that.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Technically a bass guitar but w/e:
5FCC6AA9-5510-414C-BB08-74E340FDBA4F.jpeg
Viewed 915 times
A87334C1-1556-44D0-BEB7-14D69BFC83BD.jpeg
Viewed 915 times
844B6D91-9927-4A9B-B217-83D5631D6B03.jpeg
Viewed 915 times
This was from 2014 and it predictably sounded like shit.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

FAP wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:28 pm

This was from 2014 and it predictably sounded like shit.
Please explain the function of cookie tin lid.
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Wouldn’t pick up anything without it :shrug:
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

FAP wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:12 am Wouldn’t pick up anything without it :shrug:
Aluminium chain?

Looks cool! Can we hear it?
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

The instrument itself is long gone, but I’ll see if I can dig up some recordings of it later.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

No clean recordings sadly, so you'll have to settle for this:

IIRC the setup was the 'chain bass' into a shoebox recorder (for distortion) into an amp with some reverb on it; a different shoebox recorder was used to record the sounds coming off the amp via the built-in mic.

Get it while it lasts, if you're so inclined: I doubt Vocaroo stores these things for long.
obscura materia
Noise Person

Post by obscura materia »

i love all these guitars. in case i missed one any one did anyone mod any bc warlocks? or any of the Epiphone goth series? i love using guitars with synths, if you can run it into the filters and have some onboard fx you can make magic happen
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

FAP wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:44 pm No clean recordings sadly, so you'll have to settle for this:

IIRC the setup was the 'chain bass' into a shoebox recorder (for distortion) into an amp with some reverb on it; a different shoebox recorder was used to record the sounds coming off the amp via the built-in mic.

Get it while it lasts, if you're so inclined: I doubt Vocaroo stores these things for long.
I think I like this a lot!