Noise Guitar & Related Conceptual Interpretations

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

Phogmasheeen
Noiser

Re: Noise Guitar & Related Conceptual Interpretations

Post by Phogmasheeen »

Lou Reed cover you mean. You are describing the process of the album Metal Machine Music. Released 1975.

melko wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:15 pm
crochambeau wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:51 pm I do wonder about hanging 36 pickups off a single (?) output jack though.
oh snap you just gave me the best idea of the day
why don't i take both gutars i currently have and a bass too, lean them all against the amp, plug them into the mixer and then send the combined output to the amp
so damn obvious but never crossed my mind before :doh:

hmmm just remembered i still have my high school (super terrible and therefore noise perfect) guitar still laying somwhere at my brother's place... this is definitely going to end up well
Not a team player. Doesn't take unsolicited advice. Otherwise charming...
melko
Noiser

Post by melko »

Phogmasheeen wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:33 pm Lou Reed cover you mean. You are describing the process of the album Metal Machine Music. Released 1975.

crochambeau wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:51 pm I do wonder about hanging 36 pickups off a single (?) output jack though.
why don't i take both gutars i currently have and a bass too, lean them all against the amp, plug them into the mixer and then send the combined output to the amp

hmmm just remembered i still have my high school (super terrible and therefore noise perfect) guitar still laying somwhere at my brother's place... this is definitely going to end up well
Do you have a source for that info? I thought he used a single guitar & a tape echo.
If there's a detailed account of how MMM was recorded, I'd be very much interested to read it.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

melko wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:51 pm
Phogmasheeen wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:33 pm Lou Reed cover you mean. You are describing the process of the album Metal Machine Music. Released 1975.

Do you have a source for that info? I thought he used a single guitar & a tape echo.
If there's a detailed account of how MMM was recorded, I'd be very much interested to read it.
I thought it was more of a stone henge of like eight guitars plugged into eight amplifiers, where each guitar was leaned against an amplifier that another guitar was plugged into (when not actually being played). I'm not looking it up, in hopes that we can catch some classic hearsay wave of nonsense. Been ages since I've listened to it.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

stone henge of like eight guitars
Attachments
4D322C64-7C59-48CF-AC55-745C0314F48B.gif
Viewed 1121 times
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

The album has a listing of some\all of the gear used to make the sounds.
I can't recall what the list contained.
place holder
melko
Noiser

Post by melko »

RUBBISH wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:02 pm

The album has a listing of some\all of the gear used to make the sounds.
I can't recall what the list contained.

Is this the one? Interestingly, it says "no instruments?" Which opens up the possibility that no guitars were used.
Phogmasheeen
Noiser

Post by Phogmasheeen »

"Again the fan on the large spring in metal milk crate sounded amazing at home but live it pretty much failed."

Failed in what way?

Did it make no sound?

Was it not interesting for the audience to watch you deal with the failure?

Did the audience leave?

I heard a rumor that some people use sound as an entertainment medium.

It was never clear on who was being entertained. The performer or the audience.

Maybe it doesn't need to be judged. Just a thought...
Not a team player. Doesn't take unsolicited advice. Otherwise charming...
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Phogmasheeen wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:49 pm Failed in what way?

Did it make no sound?
Electro-acoustic assemblies can turn into one note only yell in a room with a PA whereas they can be a deeply articulate voice in more controlled settings, I would speculate the possibility that the resulting instrument reacted entirely different than intended/expected/hoped for.

I've lost count of how many times I've played or watched someone play an improvised instrument in a live setting that has "failed" to meet the intended performance due to aspects outside the control of those involved (short of turning the fucking PA down or pulling off a field repair).

Many times it's a fun exercise in adaptation, other times it's a complete downer/failure. Experiments are like that.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

image.png
Viewed 1038 times
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

melko wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:53 pm
Is this the one? Interestingly, it says "no instruments?" Which opens up the possibility that no guitars were used.
Yup.. although I would argue that a microphone is an instrument but yeah no guitars means it doesn't really belong in this thread