Kid's toys, noisemakers, circuit bending, general doodadery

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

¾ dead
Merzwow

Kid's toys, noisemakers, circuit bending, general doodadery

Post by ¾ dead »

Why not?

I had a coupon I needed to waste after work today:
FAP
Merzwow

Re: Kid's toys, noisemakers, circuit bending, general doodadery

Post by FAP »

Did you get to bending those executive stress eliminators yet?

FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

This and the previous post are all older bends I did, more recent stuff is in the works.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Still working on current bend, but I thought it might be cool to give y'all a glimpse of what my process tends to look like:
wnProgScreenshot.jpg
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

I really have to get shit organized here. I've got so many Sterilite drawers full of open toys with broken connections and parts everywhere + all manner of miscellaneous crap (junk, papers, arts/crafts/hobby/electronics parts and supplies, etc.). Kills my motivation to work on projects, most of which were perpetually "on-hold" until I could source necessary parts/supplies before eventually being forgotten.

No dedicated work space anymore (haven't had that for years now... sister's old room has been ceded to the cats, and was my kid cousin's old room prior to that). I would like to get some of the old bending projects repaired, improved, re-assembled, though. And to finally let go of some of the lost causes that were either DOA or bent to fuck and ruined by my earlier, more novice self trying to hammer in screws with a plumber's iron and solder. I thought I'd like to make collages out of some of it ("Scrapbooking for Inner Peace", literally), but I've yet to even do that.

I'm inspired by your posts. Probably not enough to do anything, but still. :lol:
Thanks for sharing.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

I still have several bins worth of bendable toys I bought at thrift stores years back.. I sold off some of the more valuable ones several years ago.. one of which looked pretty clean but apparently had cobwebs and spiders inside according to the angry buyer.. it's like wtf.. you got a great deal and I really ate it on the shipping.. fuck you if there's a few motherfucking spiders inside!
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Therexe2x80x99s definitely a tendency to more or less xe2x80x98hoardxe2x80x99 toys for bends later. For me itxe2x80x99s a seasonal thing, literally: stay inside and make things in the winter, go outside and play in the summer... with the odd exceptions. Ixe2x80x99ve learned to be very selective with my thrift store purchases; usually I wonxe2x80x99t pick it up unless I know I can mod it from experience, or if itxe2x80x99s something rare or unusual that I donxe2x80x99t think Ixe2x80x99ll come across again. Good example: picked up this circa 70-80s door alarm because of the design and brand new condition, only to find out therexe2x80x99s not much I could do with it. Often Ixe2x80x99ll pass on toys simply for not having an input, or anything that could feasibly turn into one.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

FAP wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:46 pm Therexe2x80x99s definitely a tendency to more or less xe2x80x98hoardxe2x80x99 toys for bends later. For me itxe2x80x99s a seasonal thing, literally: stay inside and make things in the winter, go outside and play in the summer... with the odd exceptions. Ixe2x80x99ve learned to be very selective with my thrift store purchases; usually I wonxe2x80x99t pick it up unless I know I can mod it from experience, or if itxe2x80x99s something rare or unusual that I donxe2x80x99t think Ixe2x80x99ll come across again. Good example: picked up this circa 70-80s door alarm because of the design and brand new condition, only to find out therexe2x80x99s not much I could do with it. Often Ixe2x80x99ll pass on toys simply for not having an input, or anything that could feasibly turn into one.
Yeah.. I have reached maximum hoard and sadly not just with toys.. I need to purge. After this recent move and scope of my hoard has made itself apparent. It's amazing how much stuff one can stash in every crevice of a house and surrounding structures.

Although I almost bought another one of these recently.. not really sure if they are bendable.. don't really need bending and really only mod required is an output jack.
image.png
Viewed 1958 times
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Thatxe2x80x99s pretty rad though. How much would it have set you back?
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

FAP wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:08 am Thatxe2x80x99s pretty rad though. How much would it have set you back?
It sold for $26 not including shipping.. they have sold for close to $50 and it's kinda worth it because it's a very playable. You can also get the ic in it .