lets get started

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

trashload2
Noise Person

lets get started

Post by trashload2 »

So I finally decided to dive in after watching this tutorial here -->

I bought a mixer with everything I need similar to the one in the video

1 death metal pedal and 1 delay pedal

all the cables I needed including the one to feed into my USB port to record with audacity

and one thing that isn't there but got anyways, a basic contact mic (Guitar Pickup Piezo Contact Microphone AD-35) that I can feed into wherever I gotta

A contact mic seems to be where a lot of the fun happens with these mixing board set ups. But a couple questions. Are all contact mics equal? Will that do for just getting started and experimenting? And is it usually wired directly into the pedals or somewhere else on the mixer? Or can you just do either or and get different end results because this all seems pretty versatile in what you can do with it. Like for example the pedals looped into the FX send and the contact mic into the other mic slot. I didn't want to sink too much money into this right away without knowing what I'm doing first so I just wanted some "feedback" here.
melko
Noiser

Re: lets get started

Post by melko »

just grab a contact mic, plug it wherever, mic pre & distortion pedal will both do
you'll be fine, really

the more important question is why you'd want to be a basic noise guy who does exactly the same shit as everyone else
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

It's probably a good idea to go for tried-and-true stuff, getting your feet wet and figuring out how things work. That's why. I guess.

On point, not all contact mic's are created equal. The size of them makes a difference, most notably. Think of them as exactly what they are, a piece of metal. Different sizes of metal will resonate around different frequencies.

A good rule of thumb is an obvious one that seems to need to be stated whenever someone is starting out. Just plug things into inputs. If something will accept a signal going in, just try it. There's really few ways you can fuck up or actually do things wrong, just watch your levels because some stuff doesn't like going too loud.

Set aside a couple of hours some day, and try plugging everything in in as many different ways as you can think of. You can even take a pedal, put the output to a mixer channel, and put the input to a send/return.

If you have a Digitech Death Metal, you can take one of the outputs and plug it into the input, and send the other output to the mixer. Put your delay inbetween the output and input of the DM. Just remember the rule of thumb, output goes to input.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

Get another Death Metal Pedal and or distortion/fuzz.

Not kidding.
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Yeah, getting a foundation with which to start exploring does not deserve derision.

Anything that makes sound is gear.

A way to turn those sounds into signal is important.

Let your internal hoarder shine.

Welcome.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

For contact mics Ixe2x80x99ll say this without any reservation, the ODB-3 is the equivalent of riding a unicorn down a mountain while drinking from a goblet filled with the laughter of children.

image.jpg
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

crochambeau wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:21 am Let your internal hoarder shine.
Oh boy ... some of us have this in spades
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

Record what you do and transfer to CDR or tape / phone etc. to listen again.... and listen again... and again.....
"Cage's 4'33" = 273 seconds xe2x88x92273.15xc2xb0 C = absolute zero."