Modular chit-chat

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

¾ dead
Merzwow

Re: Modular chit-chat

Post by ¾ dead »

I finally got around to purchasing a 4xc3x97LFO module. IDK why it took me so long. I've known for a long time that I needed more modulation sources. Having a quad LFO is perfect for queasy, almost-generative granular stuff... It almost, *almost* gets the Nebulae into Granulab territory (one of my biggest, sexiest gear fantasies is to see Granulab somehow ported to a eurorack module with slider controls and CV inputs for most/all parameters and a preset bank, maybe as an expander module... OOOIIITYUUGHIUHOGIHIWHUFOIE domo )

Making all kinds of sick ghost sounds. I want to get another quad LFO now. I have some other modulation sources incoming, though. I've also ordered a 2nd Mantis and a smaller case for CV/sequencer modules, which have yet to arrive. There's now, legitimately, no fucking room left for more "stuff" without a complete overhaul of how I have everything is set up. I always said I'd never be one of "those" people. "Just say no to eurocrack" and all that. Yet my savings have been declining steadily since the shutdown. Once I recover a bit financially, I'm considering contacting Rob Hordijk about a Blippoo Box, and possibly some of his 5U modules.

YOLO///HAIL SATAN.
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

Anyone into eurorack might be keen on this zine. Great stuff! Noise / experimental artists and module makers talk about eurocrack! I grabbed both issues but looks like 1 has sold out now.

https://tommycreep.bandcamp.com/merch/b ... e-issue-ii
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

xc2xbe dead wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:49 pm 4xc3x97LFO module. I
what, this is modular... which lfo module lol
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Social_Drift wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:40 am
Hmm.. he doesn't say but Doepfer A-145 is one of the cheaper ones
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

NoiseWiki wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:12 am
Social_Drift wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:40 am
oh... the shame of doepfer :D

i can have the a-145-4 it is really small 4hp and you can't do a full cw to ccw sweep without tiny fingers i do not have

dunno
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Social_Drift wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:15 am
NoiseWiki wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:12 am
Social_Drift wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:40 am what, this is modular... which lfo module lol
oh... the shame of doepfer :D

Well at least it's not Behringer .. never heard that there was any shame in using Doepfer :scream:
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

Social_Drift, I was trying to avoid blatant endorsements, but I bought a used Batumi if you want to know. I also bought the Poti expander. I also had an Instruo ochd arrive last night. Both are great for making generative, lazy-ambient slop.

I'm having a lot of fun with them. Wasting a lot of time too. doh

PS: Doepfer is great. As for Behringer, I am not opposed to buying some of those modules, though not many of them jump out at me as being anything I really want or need currently. I would like to get all those Behringer synth clones eventually, though I wouldn't waste the space racking them, unless it was in a cheap 19" rack with Z-rails. If they ever offer an 800DV clone I am instantly jumping on it.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

batumi looks fun... i'm not buying anything new now. modular is so hype. take a look thru muffs just endless upper middle class people getting excited about spending money. just part own a yacht like you used to lol
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

Social_Drift wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:41 pm batumi looks fun... i'm not buying anything new now. modular is so hype. take a look thru muffs just endless upper middle class people getting excited about spending money. just part own a yacht like you used to lol
When Jon Ingram gets a eurorack modular, you know it's officially reached pure hype status. FWIW, I browse MW some, and there's plenty of practical discussion, and even non-GAS-oriented shit. Actually, one recent thread was precisely about how Eurorack has become "too mainstream". :lol: cry

I got into buying modular stuff at the best and worst time, apparently. Because spending all this money on modules was always about street cred and having something to post on Instagram, obviously. But I'm not crafty or calculating enough to have invested in modular props before it was cool, so I'm just some bottom-feeding piece of shit jumping on a bandwagon I never knew existed before a few months ago, it seems. Time to sell everything!

Honestly, though, as much as I've enjoyed it for its ability to expand on, or else simplify, a lot of what I was already doing, much of this stuff is admittedly wasted on me. I've been sitting here listening to the same sequence looped over and over for an hour+. I think I'm the only one on Earth willing to listen to this, for this long. All I do is make single-bar doodles (basically all I ever did in a DAW, too!) and obnoxious noises. It's just a grossly-expensive but feature-rich masturbation console.
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

Justice Yeldham currently selling a load of cool pedals so he can go modular....
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek: