Modular chit-chat

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

¾ dead
Merzwow

Re: Modular chit-chat

Post by ¾ dead »

Indeterminacy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:03 am I don't even understand what those goddamned emojis mean so your argument is invalid.
It's been modified since (I guess by Adrian, or maybe Curtis, if he moderates this sub-forum). I can't be bothered with working around the emoticons that auto-populate with certain words on here sometimes.

At any rate, I don't even know how to juggle, let alone do so with DM pedals or something. The idea seems all the more stupid after getting some rest (and yet, I'm so fucking tired still!). I hate working overnights with a largely incompetent skeleton crew.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

xc2xbe dead wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:31 pmor maybe Curtis, if he moderates this sub-forum
Not me, I don't actually have any moderation powers here beyond freeing posts from automatic snares. I'm just in it for the green font flex.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

I fixed them.. I had added a bunch and forgot to add colons to the codes
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Taking into account proper ethics...
It would be neat to figure out a way to have animals 'play' a modular synth but until then this will have to do.

Pink oyster mushroom
place holder
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

RUBBISH wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:43 am Taking into account proper ethics...
It would be neat to figure out a way to have animals 'play' a modular synth but until then this will have to do.

Pink oyster mushroom
Dilloway recorded chickens on sheet metal for a track, I'd imagine that's along the lines of how you get an animal to trigger a modular synth. Just get some sort of conductive material, rig it up and let them fuck about on it, altering parameters based on where/how much of it they're touching (I'm an ignorant bastard when it comes to electronics, but I was thinking like those little touchpads you see on some audio devices that mess with the signal when you touch them - I think it's a resistance thing).
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

I once got my dog to lick contacts on a toy keyboard.

Every once in a while I get the Eurorack bug, but never got beyond looking at power supplies. Recently saw this kit. I actually have no idea how important power is in Eurorack, but most complaints seem to be about running out of space instead of not getting enough draw. Would this be a fair statement? Would such a power supply be a good jumping off point?
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

BPJ wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:19 am Every once in a while I get the Eurorack bug, but never got beyond looking at power supplies. Recently saw this kit. I actually have no idea how important power is in Eurorack, but most complaints seem to be about running out of space instead of not getting enough draw. Would this be a fair statement? Would such a power supply be a good jumping off point?
I have a similar setup and that is a pretty substantial power setup.
timdrage
Noise Artist

Post by timdrage »

BPJ wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:19 am I once got my dog to lick contacts on a toy keyboard.
In Isn'tses gigs we have got a lot of use out of a close-mic'd recording of our cats eating biscuits, weird comforting/terrifying/disgusting feeling when slowed down and played over a good PA :)
BPJ wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:19 am Every once in a while I get the Eurorack bug, but never got beyond looking at power supplies. Recently saw this kit. I actually have no idea how important power is in Eurorack, but most complaints seem to be about running out of space instead of not getting enough draw. Would this be a fair statement? Would such a power supply be a good jumping off point?
That would be more than plenty to start with! I have a couple of small cases and am running fine with no power problems to speak of just with little very cheap things like this https://www.sf-innovations.co.uk/produc ... ransformer

also no scary mains voltages in the case ha.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

dunno if I said, but my 12u was freaking me out too much, so I downgraded to 2 3u cases "something my anarchic" I thougt. well it's more portable, and doesn't seem like I've wasted my entire life savings on in. except I don't go anywhere, and I did waste my entire life savings on it :deadbanana:
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

My dream is to have a small portable case that I can run off solar or/ rechargable battery, so I can merge modular synth with field recordings in a live environment.

Anyone here got any experience of this? I know some modules are power hungry so you gotta be careful about what you install....
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek: