Modular chit-chat

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

banned
Merzfinity

Re: Modular chit-chat

Post by banned »

Soloman Tump wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:43 pm Justice Yeldham currently selling a load of cool pedals so he can go modular....
huh?
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

modular is cool, but hyped... that is no paradox -- unless you are part of the hype. that's no bad thing, though i prefer laughing about it.

ideal response i to un-hype it, but whateverz
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

Social_Drift wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:52 am
Soloman Tump wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:43 pm Justice Yeldham currently selling a load of cool pedals so he can go modular....
huh?
Don't shoot the messenger

firedevil
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Modular is little different than a string of pedals that share the same power supply and container.

The layer of control voltage and subsequent applications is standard, of course, but by no means a concept exclusive to the modular format.

I'm only weighing in because I see a little format shame being thrown around and that is a fundamentally ridiculous thing.

peek
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

I'm always the last to know this stuff, but euroack is apparently a post-Internet meme, just like harsh noise, now.

Speaking to the part about modulars being not unlike pedals, I agree. Modular synthesis is ultimately just a more fleshed-out-out-of-the-box experience where patching automation/external control, feedback, etc. is a lot simpler, faster and more convenient (Ex: I laid out all my pedals a while back making plans to build a patch bay system for them, and I would've needed a surface the size of a door, or bigger, to put them all on) and doesn't require any drilling/soldering unless you're building your own kit.

It's just another format/method that has become available--been given--to us lowly consumer-peasants (I said as much in that "too mainstream" thread on MW). It's very amusing to me that people are so protective of modular synths as a kind of class/cultural signifier, particularly now, in what is apparently the age of eurorack proliferation. Treating modular systems/workflow as something special (read: more patrician/intellectual/you-fill-in-the-blank) beyond their mere functionality is the only thing to be ridiculed.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

xc2xbe dead wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:14 am post-Internet meme, just like harsh noise, now.
what isn't? unless you don't mean "post-non-internet" haha
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

i had to leave muffs, it was fucking my head up... new must have modules to discuss modules? huh, i have a rack.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Social_Drift wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:18 pm i had to leave muffs, it was fucking my head up... new must have modules to discuss modules? huh, i have a rack.
Just because somebody freaks you out does not mean they are me or whoever bro doh
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

So, I haven't tried to contact Mr. Hordijk yet, but I did get my hands on a used Benjolin eurorack module. There seems to be 3-4 iterations from different sources... The one I found is, I think a newer one with a white PCB panel (ew).

It's pretty wonderful soundwise, though. No, it's not a blippoo box, but it's capable of some very similar, liquid-y textures. I could realistically see getting a second of these.

It's so nice just listening to it drip, fart and bubble away without even touching any of the controls. Highly invigorating.

EDIT: Oh my goodness, fuck me! I bought another one... Someone stop me, please.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

yeah, the benjolin is way fun