Modular chit-chat

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

banned
Merzfinity

Re: Modular chit-chat

Post by banned »

played synth today... for some reason i have this vision of not playing the benjolin, just letting it play... maybe with a random mute to it... but it feels like a waste, to just leave such a varied module
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

i also woke up having a dream about a patch i could try, then couldn't quite remember what it was sat at the synth. not even sure if it was a viable / possible patch idea. frustrating
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

Social_Drift wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:41 am it feels like a waste, to just leave such a varied module
Ha. I've found that a lot of the time, I stumble into an interesting generative "soundscape" or a really nice, slowly undulating drone, and I just listen to it for 2 hours while checking email and forums.

I haven't been productive WRT recording for a very long time, but at least I'm switching things on a bit more often.
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

I finally went full-crazy and bought my first 5U module (Analog Craftsman Gristleizer DLX) without any way to actually use it... I've been searching for cheap(er) options for powered cases, and I eventually stumbled on this offer, which I am seriously considering saving up for:
https://synthesizers.com/system-entry2.html
This video is what finally sold me on the idea (I'm not joking):

I don't know where the fuck I am going to put this shit. I'll figure it out later.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

I'm still trying to clear enough floor space to actually set my shit up again. I was making good progress until fucking homedepot decided to not fix there fucking in store table saw
melko
Noiser

Post by melko »

xc2xbe dead wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:33 pm I finally went full-crazy and bought my first 5U module (Analog Craftsman Gristleizer DLX) without any way to actually use it...
But why? Gristleizer is basically VCA + VCF + LFO. Pretty much any modular/semimodular synth can do that. Is there something special about this thing that I am missing?
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

melko wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:25 am
xc2xbe dead wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:33 pm I finally went full-crazy and bought my first 5U module (Analog Craftsman Gristleizer DLX) without any way to actually use it...
But why? Gristleizer is basically VCA + VCF + LFO. Pretty much any modular/semimodular synth can do that. Is there something special about this thing that I am missing?
You are right. It is very simple to patch a tremolo effect or a modulated filter effect in modular. And you can go way beyond what a "stock" Gristleizer can do, at least in terms of selecting atypical waveshapes and selecting different flavors of filtering (I am a filter slut, so I like to have a wide variety). Ultimately, the appeal here, at least for me, is achieving "that" particular sound via the Gristleizer's specific filter tone and bias control. There is also the convenience of having a sort of readymade tremolo/modulated filter effect without relying on seperate VCA's, or else tying up the only dual VCA I currently have in my euro setup, which will likely end up being cross-patched with a dotcom system whenever I save up to money to buy into the starter system that they offer.

I admit there's also a level of shallow gear-dork/fetishist "wow-factor", too.
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

Y'all... I was lying in bed recently, thinking about my life and what I want to do with it. I've thought about becoming a clown before, but IDK if I have the right stage presence for that, and I don't exactly feed off of crowds like a lot of people into drama/theatre... Still, I keep coming back to the idea of being a harsh noise rent-a-clown.

Then I stumbled onto this, and it was like God was telling me that I'm on the right path:
https://winterbloom.com/store/winterblo ... ing-button
https://diode.zone/videos/watch/841ab06 ... 3aff81d1c8

Thinking about buying one and becoming a noise clown pretty hard right now. I could easily make some flyers to advertise for events. But I need to work on a routine. I need to make sense of what my motivations really are here. Clowning just seems like a safer, more suitable alternative to drag in a lot of ways, but there's also a lot of room for exploring philosophical/existentialist concepts and "what it means to be a clown". The noise part is just shtick... IDK how to do anything else.

I know it sounds like I've been drinking too much clemonade right now, but I'm speaking earnestly. Do I really think I'll ever go for it? Probably not. But the idea has been stuck in my head lately.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

I don't even understand what those goddamned emojis mean so your argument is invalid.
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Indeterminacy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:03 am I don't even understand what those goddamned emojis mean so your argument is invalid.
hump drool hump drool orly
hump drool hump drool nod
oooo paddle paddle

disturbed disturbed disturbed disturbed disturbed disturbed disturbed
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/