Modular chit-chat

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

¾ dead
Merzwow

Modular chit-chat

Post by ¾ dead »

General-purpose modular thread. Any format is acceptable, but please specify.

My quest for wet, splotchy, gurgling, drippy filter effects is neverending.
I know I asked about this on NG, but now that I have a eurorack case, I am looking more earnestly at eurorack filter options. I've already ordered an Elby Designs ES07 1973 filter based on it being supposedly "drippy", but it hasn't come yet, and the few practical demonstrations I've found were nearly useless, so hopefully I will not be disappointed.

Demos online never seem to deliver what I want to hear filters doing
That being said, I've heard good snippets or read good things about all of these, and would like to hear if any of you are at all experienced with any of them where making wet, sloshy puke'n'poop noises is concerned:
-God's Box Humpback
-AMSynths AM8071 Snowfall VCF (Seemingly impossible to find)
-AMSynths AM8109 JP8 LPF (Ditto)*
-G-Storm Electro Pro VCF (Maybe not even what I need, but what I've heard sounds really nice all the same. And it's relatively affordable)
-Toppobrillo Multifilter

More recommendations welcome. Eurorack modules only, unless the format is in some way 19" rack-compatible.

*Everything from this company is impossible to find. I'm also really interested in their Mirage-inspired filter. Never find any of these for sale when searching.
FAP
Merzwow

Re: Modular chit-chat

Post by FAP »

I donxe2x80x99t know if this was what you were aiming for, but that track legitimately sounds like early computer music straight out of the mid 60s.
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

FAP wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:51 pm I donxe2x80x99t know if this was what you were aiming for, but that track legitimately sounds like early computer music straight out of the mid 60s.
I wish I could say I were trying. I just got bored/frustrated with attempting to make something decent using the patch I'd made and started making a ruckus instead.
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

Some parts sounded 'drippy' to me... can you give a link to an example like you are after? + 'drippyness' I think often uses reverb as well as a VCF.

Have you checked this out...

"Cage's 4'33" = 273 seconds xe2x88x92273.15xc2xb0 C = absolute zero."
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

The ultimate drip machine?

Dunno if its rack compatible, but probably....

Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Not exactly helpful. Because it's not eurorack but one thing I'd always loved a out the lexicon primetime delays is that had a very liquidy sound

Another vague suggestions is that you may want a filter with a high q .. that is a very narrow band pass filter
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

Soloman Tump wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:01 am The ultimate drip machine?

Dunno if its rack compatible, but probably....

This is not the sort of thing I had in mind, but I really like it. GOOD CALL.

Also, 19" racks are fine, too, though I think I should break off and make a new thread soon dedicated solely to all manner of gear suitable for making disgusting noises, as I initially opened this with modular in mind. This was mainly done under the assumption that eurorack/modular filter options were ultimately going to be the most fertile grounds for all manner of filter effects in today's (predominantly non-discontinued) gear market, outside of the increasingly small pool of boutique "weird" guitar pedal manufacturers, many of whom seem to be producing modules more often than not these days.

Anyway, I am curious about the Lexicon Primetime, too. Always interested in hearing what something can do if I haven't already.
Another vague suggestions is that you may want a filter with a high q .. that is a very narrow band pass filter
I should try using the BP out on my Wasp filter more often, maybe. It's not really the right "type" of filter, I know, it's just the only filter module I currently own. I do believe just about any filter will accomplish the basic effect, when the resonance is cranked and the envelope is being set/modulated properly in order to to make it "squiggle". It's always been an issue of finding filters with the right voicing. Anyway, I hardly ever tried using the BP out as anything but a feedback/CV source (dunno why). Might get me a little closer, even though the Wasp filter is a totally weird thing in its own right.

There were some very interesting sounds from the EM Morpheus as well. A lot to cover in one video, but it looks like a very good all-around sound-shaping tool.

PS: My initial question way back was based around seeking hands-on hardware approximations of a particular VST, the Naive LPF, which can he heard squelching and blipping away in these audio clips:

¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

PPS: It figures the Blippoo Box would be some obskvre bit of unobtanium! It's pretty much perfect, if only as a standalone sound generator.

PPPPS: I keep quoting myself on here when I mean to edit the post. Sorry. I promise, I do pay more attention while driving than I do in front of keyboards (incl. pianos)
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

xc2xbe dead wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:25 pm PPS: It figures the Blippoo Box would be some obskvre bit of unobtanium! It's pretty much perfect, if only as a standalone sound generator.

PPPPS: I keep quoting myself on here when I mean to edit the post. Sorry. I promise, I do pay more attention while driving than I do in front of keyboards (incl. pianos)
Yes, the Blippoo box does look fun, out of my budget price wise though (and I guess carriage costs would be pretty high too). The guy makes a few other devices as well, there is a new one in advanced stages of design now called the Wing Pinger

https://www.mengqimusic.com/chaos-melody

Edit: It must be said, he appears to be some sort of chaos audio wizard.
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

Oh, man. The Elby filter is definitely capable of getting somewhere in the ballpark of what I want as far as splatteriness is concerned (I've gotten some drippy sounds from it too). The voicing still isn't quite on the mark, and it's not very flexible in terms of very surgical tweaking, or hugely responsive and "alive-sounding" in terms of how it reacts to fluctuating/random audio-rate CV sources, but it's satisfyingly gross all the same. I really like it. It just needs more... fluids.

RESEARCH IS ONGOING.