Let's help each other to compose FX channels in DAW.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

iNtox-Z
Noise Artist

Post by iNtox-Z »

Noisers. :angel:
Let's revitalize the noise scene with modern means and our experiments with you not only with pedals, because in fact everything that could be made noise over the years has already rested on the ceiling. Of course, those who have the opportunity to buy expensive modular synthesizers or conventional ones, this need disappears by itself.
However, not everyone in the world can afford expensive equipment, so we can experiment with such a sound source as a tablet, whether itxe2x80x99s an android or an apple.
I am talking about such applications as: Plasma Sound app, Saucillator app, QiBrd: Free Virtual Analog Synthesizer app, Experimental FM Synthesizer app. It's Free to download, but sound that can be twisted using the plug-ins is just simply amazing, and ixe2x80x99m sure that the most ordinary tablet + the simplest midi-controller, such as Akai LPD 8, can afford any person who wants to get a little more return from creation music or noise.
So. Let's get started.
Most likely there are quarrels over the fact that this is not True Pedal Noise/Modular Synth, and of course, we may have some difficulties about who prefers music program in work which his best.
I'm like to working in FL-Studio 10, so Ixe2x80x99ll upload my presets using it.

Here are the rules for submitting your presets.
four points
1) Indicate the source of the tablet app.
2) Indicate what plug-ins are on the channel and in what sequence they are (It does not make sense to provide the preset itself, since everyone has different versions of programs and also plug-ins), but this will not affect the essence of the sound.
3) If possible, take a screenshot of each plug-in so that the positions of the plug-in potentiometers are visible (under the spoiler.)
4) The best point from the points listed is a short video with a demonstration of plugins with their settings and sound.

PS: i Hope we will be able to find time and desire, because by providing these presets we are in progress, because it's already possible from what is proposed here, the opportunity for new experiments will open up.

I will replenish this topic as far as possible with my settings, I hope that people will join me, although it seems to me that there are very few people on the forum.
Last edited by iNtox-Z on Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Re: Let's help each other to compose FX channels in DAW.

Post by Soloman Tump »

I've still not had time to write out my Neutron patches!

I admire your enthusiasm... bounce
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

I just do everything "in-the-box" using a laptop PC, and mostly just use VST effects similarly to how I would use hardware signal processors... ;thinking:

And most of the software I actually create "noise-friendly" presets in, or else use for dramatic/surgical edits and sound processing is not free (GoldWave, iZotope RX4). All the free stuff I use is ancient Windows software like GranuLab. I do have a lot of GranuLab preset banks I could upload at some point, perhaps.

As far as tablets go, I did borrow my mom's Amazon Kindle Fire and use it for a few sound apps (most were junk, though maybe that's changed over time?). Plasma Sound was the best one I found. I don't have time to write out the presets I made in it, but maybe I will at some point... It's plenty easy to just program something dissonant/noisy yourself, OTOH.
iNtox-Z
Noise Artist

Post by iNtox-Z »

IMG_20190227_105446.jpg
Saucillator App, Plasma Sound App, FM Synthesizer App, Circular Sound
UnderstandDavid
Noise Person

Post by UnderstandDavid »

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're suggesting that we describe the effects chains we use to produce material?

I'm not sure how useful or practical that would be, to be honest, but it might be worthwhile for the sake of sharing knowledge if nothing else. Sharing specific settings seems to be a bit too much like "How To Get My Sound", than how to skillfully use certain chains of effects - that's a complex subject in itself.

All of my recording, sampling, post-production and editing is done in Ableton now, although I use tapes, mics and instruments as source material. The effects chains I use will vary depending on the track or project, e.g. The Oceanic recordings only use compression on the final master, while some of the Understand David stuff involves complex routing, automation and re-sampling.

What I'm trying to say is that it's not as simple as "compose FX channels in DAW".

On the other hand, perhaps offering specific effects chains for, for example, mastering harsh noise, could be more universally useful?

Newcomers to noise often overlook basic processing that could help them to crystallize their sound. Even just knowing about compression and EQ, cutting out sub range to make the sound less muddy and all those studio fundamentals could help. I know not everybody is looking for a 'professional' sound from their final material, but in my experience, even getting an unprofessional sound can take work!

There are so many lo-fi VST's that can sound great, but usually sound like shite because they're being left on a factory preset. Even some of my go-to, free, mayhem inducing VST's like dBlue Glitch has a really identifiable sound unless you screw with the parameters, so it can be easy to just repeat what someone else has done.

The more I think about it, the more it strikes me that it might be a good idea to have threads on doing things like automation in DAW's. It's basically the modern version of fiddling with knobs on pedals and synths, but being able to go back and change your mistakes! Long gone are the days of the abrupt feedback spike that'll take you 30 minutes and three sliced thumbs to splice out of the tape... :lol:

Just throwing my two cents in there, but I think it's a topic that has potential to be useful if further developed.

I'll post one of my chains that I used earlier to produce a musique concrete/noise piece, just in case it's helpful to anyone.
UnderstandDavid
Noise Person

Post by UnderstandDavid »

Sampler w/three variations of the same sample. Each is triggered based specific zones of the keyboard, and according to a (constrained) random pattern. Only one of the variations runs through the Beat Repeat, which itself is automated to continually change. Automated adjustments to the pitch create nice tape effects. The samplers are routed to two FX returns, each with...
Sampler w/three variations of the same sample. Each is triggered based specific zones of the keyboard, and according to a (constrained) random pattern. Only one of the variations runs through the Beat Repeat, which itself is automated to continually change. Automated adjustments to the pitch create nice tape effects. The samplers are routed to two FX returns, each with...
Free JCM amp emulator that sounds great. Each return is set differently and panned hard-left/right to create space, with both being routed through an additional return (sent out to record as audio) with some compression.
Free JCM amp emulator that sounds great. Each return is set differently and panned hard-left/right to create space, with both being routed through an additional return (sent out to record as audio) with some compression.
Viewed 2085 times
Mastering chain for a lot of my material. Center is a great spatial plug-in, Aphex Exciter bring the sound as close to analog as I've found, and the L2 is set to -2dB with a limiter that barely tickles the peaks. Avoid just limiting the shit out of your material. I sounds obvious and terrible.
Mastering chain for a lot of my material. Center is a great spatial plug-in, Aphex Exciter bring the sound as close to analog as I've found, and the L2 is set to -2dB with a limiter that barely tickles the peaks. Avoid just limiting the shit out of your material. I sounds obvious and terrible.
Viewed 2085 times
iNtox-Z
Noise Artist

Post by iNtox-Z »

Nobody wants to help each other, alright ... today i will replenish this topic with new effects, the source for which will be a piezomicrophone.
iNtox-Z
Noise Artist

Post by iNtox-Z »

Ok noisers, this is for who don't have money for pedals.
Here is Piezo Microphone + VST Plugins

1.jpg
Viewed 1983 times
rockon
2.jpg
Viewed 1983 times
:construct: :construct: :construct: :construct: :construct: :construct: :construct: :construct: :construct: :construct:
iNtox-Z
Noise Artist

Post by iNtox-Z »

iNtox-Z
Noise Artist

Post by iNtox-Z »