Matrix Mixer Recommendations

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Matrix Mixer Recommendations

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

After some careful consideration of what I want to do, I've decided a matrix mixer is what I need. I intend to use it primarily for guitar, routing through multiple effects chains to mix in parallel as well as maybe incorporate some feedback (along with traditional input summing). I want good control of the volumes (chiefly to try and mix together feedback and external inputs so that the external signal can drown out the feedback when I want it to, as well as making sure I can go loud enough into the amp), but most matrix mixers I can find are passive and said to suffer volume loss. Any recommendations for active matrix mixers of about 4x4 size, or are they so much more costly or hard to power that it's not worth it?
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: Matrix Mixer Recommendations

Post by crochambeau »

I own and love a Pladask Elektrisk Matrise, which is a 4x4 active matrix mixer.

Easy to power via standard 9 volt supply, but not the most inexpensive option (worth every penny in my opinion).
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

crochambeau wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:12 pm I own and love a Pladask Elektrisk Matrise, which is a 4x4 active matrix mixer.

Easy to power via standard 9 volt supply, but not the most inexpensive option (worth every penny in my opinion).
From the last pladask e-mail, I believe they currently have more of these in production so should be available again soon.
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

crochambeau wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:12 pm I own and love a Pladask Elektrisk Matrise, which is a 4x4 active matrix mixer.

Fuck, $285? But it is such a nice piece of kit... Might have to break the bank for that one.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Noiseguide had an excellent matrix mixer thread, now lost to the ages...

There are other options in existence, and DIY is also an option; I just don't have details of them in active memory.

I recall Tim Drage doing layout and early build passes on a design, and since he's been involved in design releases in the past I would most certainly give that consideration as well. Only the Fort Processor is listed via the Isn'tses channel though.

timdrage
Noise Artist

Post by timdrage »

yeah i should get back into designing one... got bogged down in decisions about how to power it last time I worked on it...

yes shame the info on noiseguide is lost. There's a good thread on Lines tho: https://llllllll.co/t/matrix-mixers/17123

if you go eurorack there are quite a few matrix options tho not that cheap of course. I made this from a kit, pretty good: https://www.yorkmodular.co.uk/products/ ... mixer-16hp Gain is a bit weird and there's some issue to do with either DC coupling or op-amp lockup that makes it not always feed back without using a passive filter (i made some cables with a capacitor in them for this)

This looks great :D http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com/2 ... mixer.html

There are some nice small somewhat affordable euro power supplies about eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eurorack-Pow ... 3835639452 , it would be kind of cool to make a tiny rack with just a couple of different mixer modules

Easier to design and build a eurorack one since powering it is so straightforward. But the world needs a good desktop version for pedals!

EDIT: oh wait, had a look at the kicad project and i'd done more work on this than I remembered!!: started to design a prototype board which i could either power from Euro or with a split rail thing. I think this would work? i need to order some and give it a go i guess.

Any sanity-checking of this schematic would be much appreciated! I think Op Amps are wrong here tho, i'll prob use TLC274 instead I think, as I don't think splitting 12v would be quite enough power for TL084? Also, of course the PCB is designed to be built using the eurorack header, OR a DC jack and the rail splitter - not both of course!!
Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 13.41.18.png
Also not sure whether to make it SMD or through-hole.. SMD would be better for keeping it as compact as possible but less good for trogladite noise DIY ha
timdrage
Noise Artist

Post by timdrage »

OK i think this makes more sense??! Fixed the confusing gnd/reference-ground mixup too

the 'norm' jumpers are so I have solder holes to experiment with normalling the inputs to the outputs, so that when nothing's plugged in it would do no-input feedback. :D But prob would want switches for that in the final version, if it's worth adding at all.
Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 14.26.24.png
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

timdrage wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:57 am yeah i should get back into designing one... got bogged down in decisions about how to power it last time I worked on it...
I am working the bugs out of a 34063 based DC to DC converter that hangs on a 9 volt line and spits out +/- power. I have it to the point in which it's supplying +/- 12 volts (plus the common reference that is tied to outside world) into a low draw circuit just fine. Switching frequency is currently in the 100kHz range, so it's not introducing a bunch of fucking whine.

If you like, I'm happy to share my notes. It's not a finalized circuit at this point. (my aim is more power)

I was hoping for a meaningful thumbnail from instagram, I guess it does not surprise me...

timdrage
Noise Artist

Post by timdrage »

Ah looks great + useful!

I'm looking at using TLE2426 to split 12+ v (or more I guess), seems the easiest way. I have only a vague notion if it can deal with enough current or whateverr? Tho I'm using op amps in inverting mode which doesn't take so much I gather...

This is starting to look like a circuit i guesss?

EDIT: OK i'm leaving out the optional eurorack power section for now as I got too confused about how to correctly ground things to make either/or work, plus it's supposed to be a desktop unit for pedal use anyway. :samurai:

EDIT2: i guess 14 pin op amps shouldn't have a 16 pin footprint doh
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 20.47.58.png
Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 20.47.58.png
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Eurorack type mixers seem to be most of the active ones I find. Which aren't great, because I want to keep this as simple as possible. Just a box with 16 knobs, 4 1/4 inputs and 4 1/4 outputs, no control voltage or weird mini jacks or polarity switches or any other synth stuff. And they're pricey and small to boot!

I have no electronics or mechanical knowledge, so building one myself is pretty much out of the question.

So far waiting for the Pladask to be back in stock still seems like the best option.