Mystifying Cassette Recorder Issue

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Mystifying Cassette Recorder Issue

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

I recently acquired my first proper cassette recorder and player, a used ONN model of the kind that goes for about $25 and has a big silver speaker in it. It's in otherwise perfect working condition except for the recording aspect. When it's recording to a tape, it will erase the original audio with no difficulty, but only the absolute loudest of sounds through the onboard mic seems to be picked up. While I was certain I heard a Monotron delay ever so quietly through it when I plugged that device straight into the 3.5mm input, future tests showed nothing (even when I plugged a mic into Digitech DM straight into it). Speaking right into it with just the onboard mic produced near inaudible volume, but I could tell there was a voice. Is this some kind of arcane circuitry problem I'm going to have to pay the damn thing's entire worth just to fix?
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: Mystifying Cassette Recorder Issue

Post by NoiseWiki »

So this was a used deck?

It could just be that the jack is fucked up .. I dunno probably not worth the trouble to fix.. you can buy brand new recorders for less

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Cassette ... /649832148
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

ONN is the shittiest brand of shoebox recorders. If you have what I think you have, get a refund and invest in a good dual deck (or scour thrifts to find one: this method requires a keen eye for preemptive troubleshooting, however).
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

FAP wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:02 pm ONN is the shittiest brand of shoebox recorders. If you have what I think you have, get a refund and invest in a good dual deck (or scour thrifts to find one: this method requires a keen eye for preemptive troubleshooting, however).
Unfortunately, it otherwise works fine and came with a microphone valued at about $15 (plus the artist I bought it from said it worked fine for them so it's probably down to something the post office did), so I'd be haggling back $15 worth of value to spend more time finagling with cassette players. I think it might be time to condemn this pipe dream to the trash fire and just keep using my interface to record. It can still play the one tape loop I have, that's not nothing.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

You can find audiophile level tape decks at thrift stores and auctions for next to nothing and you WILL find average tape decks and boomboxes by the scores that usually go for $1 to $5 maybe $10 if its really nice.

Hit thrift stores once a week and I guarantee you will eventually find what your looking for.

As far as shoebox tape recorders go the old Sony ones are the most common and with my experience the best. I have a couple I have thrown and broken the case that still work. You can beat them with a hammer ;)

Good luck

Edit...belts and the rubber rollers are the usual issues with most older tape players.
On the 90s decks it seems the motors burn out or a plastic bit breaks more so than on older decks
place holder
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

The Mysterious Creep wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:21 pm
FAP wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:02 pm ONN is the shittiest brand of shoebox recorders. If you have what I think you have, get a refund and invest in a good dual deck (or scour thrifts to find one: this method requires a keen eye for preemptive troubleshooting, however).
Unfortunately, it otherwise works fine and came with a microphone valued at about $15 (plus the artist I bought it from said it worked fine for them so it's probably down to something the post office did), so I'd be haggling back $15 worth of value to spend more time finagling with cassette players. I think it might be time to condemn this pipe dream to the trash fire and just keep using my interface to record. It can still play the one tape loop I have, that's not nothing.
Dude if youxe2x80x99re going to sweat over $15-25, youxe2x80x99ve got a long way to go.
Also as Rubbish said, you can find older, cheaper and better recorders from thrifts.
Whatxe2x80x99s stopping you?
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

I was a bit pissed off after spending hours trying to get it to work.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

welcome to obsolete technology.
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

The Mysterious Creep wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:04 am I was a bit pissed off after spending hours trying to get it to work.
Oh yeah thats understandable.
Don't sweat it.
You'll find a one or two!
place holder
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

The Mysterious Creep wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:16 pm When it's recording to a tape, it will erase the original audio with no difficulty, but only the absolute loudest of sounds through the onboard mic seems to be picked up.
Sounds like a bias problem to me. Was the former user someone who like to tinker? Often bias adjustment amounts to a trimmer on the inside. At this point, it sounds like you have little to lose by tinkering yourself.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/