New Technical Problem - Dead Monotron Delay

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

New Technical Problem - Dead Monotron Delay

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

Yep, I need tech help again, with another piece of equipment I actually bought at the same time as the tape recorder. I've recently moved to a dorm and brought my Monotron Delay with me. When I left, it wasn't working because I'd apparently left it on and killed the batteries. I figured I'd get new ones on campus and it would work again. Lo and behold, it didn't work again. Doesn't light up, doesn't make sound, nothing. There was no leakage from the batteries, it just doesn't turn on. Did I fry it? Is it suffering from atmospheric effects from being left in the garage overnight? I don't know what the problem is and it's the only gear I brought with me besides my laptop.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: New Technical Problem - Dead Monotron Delay

Post by crochambeau »

Can you confirm the batteries are actually good, and oriented correctly in the device?
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

crochambeau wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:04 am Can you confirm the batteries are actually good, and oriented correctly in the device?
I just bought the new ones this morning, AAA alkalines like the manufacturer suggested, and while I am stupid I'm not stupid enough to not check the positive and negative terminals. I definitely put them in right.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Have you ANYTHING else that takes a AAA battery? You want to confirm the ones you have contain a charge.

Could also be a bit of material found its way into the mix, so pulling the batteries, scuffing/wiping the ends of them, putting your eyes on the contacts in the synth for funkiness, re-inserting the batteries, and then slapping the unit against your leg once it's back together might have you sorted.

To answer your question about the garage, I think it unlikely, but anything is possible.

I'm stupid too, no worries, we're all friends here.

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

The Mysterious Creep wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:51 am
crochambeau wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:04 am Can you confirm the batteries are actually good, and oriented correctly in the device?
I just bought the new ones this morning, AAA alkalines like the manufacturer suggested, and while I am stupid I'm not stupid enough to not check the positive and negative terminals. I definitely put them in right.
I've never encountered this problem with the Monotron .. I mean they seem pretty durable except for the headphone jack.

So try zeroing everything out. If you can test the batteries in another device just to be sure they aren't DOA.

Otherwise try also setting all controls to halfway and don't have anything plugged into it.
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

crochambeau wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:26 am Have you ANYTHING else that takes a AAA battery? You want to confirm the ones you have contain a charge.

Could also be a bit of material found its way into the mix, so pulling the batteries, scuffing/wiping the ends of them, putting your eyes on the contacts in the synth for funkiness, re-inserting the batteries, and then slapping the unit against your leg once it's back together might have you sorted.

To answer your question about the garage, I think it unlikely, but anything is possible.

I'm stupid too, no worries, we're all friends here.
The batteries helpfully turned out to have little power testers built in activated by pressing a button on the side and the negative terminal. They showed enough charge to work, at least 3/4 full. Checked for any obstructions, tried different combinations, nothing.

I've seen a report of a report that running out the batteries can take the Monotron out with them, but I've also seen that disputed.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

I don't buy the idea that running a battery flat is going to do damage. I have been wrong before, but I just don't see batteries being a culprit unless they're shitting their insides out on your PCB.

It's at this point that I would be busting out a screwdriver and having a look see on the insides of the Korg. YMMV

Another option if wiggling the pots and seeing if that does anything, but I'm just stabbing in the dark here.

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

The Mysterious Creep wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:13 pm I've seen a report of a report that running out the batteries can take the Monotron out with them, but I've also seen that disputed.
Never heard that and find it a highly dubious claim
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

crochambeau wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:22 pm I don't buy the idea that running a battery flat is going to do damage. I have been wrong before, but I just don't see batteries being a culprit unless they're shitting their insides out on your PCB.

It's at this point that I would be busting out a screwdriver and having a look see on the insides of the Korg. YMMV

Another option if wiggling the pots and seeing if that does anything, but I'm just stabbing in the dark here.
yea the next thing I'd do is open the case and look for anything unusual. One time a friend of mines computer wouldn't turn on because a mouse had peed on the motherboard
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Schematic is online to reference, so I guess I'll have to get a screwdriver.