New Technical Problem - Dead Monotron Delay

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Re: New Technical Problem - Dead Monotron Delay

Post by Soloman Tump »

Headphone jack on my monotron died. So annoying. Will fix it one day.
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Been a while since I've had my hands on any of the monotron stuff, they have a sliding power switch, or rotate the volume up to turn on style?

Regardless of type, I would start there.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

The input on mine has never worked properly...its a fun thing but...should be about 1/2 the price they are sold for.
place holder
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

crochambeau wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:04 pm Been a while since I've had my hands on any of the monotron stuff, they have a sliding power switch, or rotate the volume up to turn on style?

Regardless of type, I would start there.
Three position snap switch. Off, triangle wave, square wave.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

NoiseWiki wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:24 pm
crochambeau wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:22 pm I don't buy the idea that running a battery flat is going to do damage. I have been wrong before, but I just don't see batteries being a culprit unless they're shitting their insides out on your PCB.

It's at this point that I would be busting out a screwdriver and having a look see on the insides of the Korg. YMMV

Another option if wiggling the pots and seeing if that does anything, but I'm just stabbing in the dark here.
yea the next thing I'd do is open the case and look for anything unusual. One time a friend of mines computer wouldn't turn on because a mouse had peed on the motherboard
Acquired some small screwdrivers from an on-campus store that luckily had some, but have been unable to open the monotron. It's somewhat hard to brace due to the knobs preventing it from laying flat, but the screws may also be too small and tightly screwed to get out with the screwdrivers. When I tried, the drivers would inevitably slip out of the screws before they'd turn.
20200830_124518.jpg
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Yeah, those jewelers screwdrivers are nice to have for fine work, but I prefer cracking cases with a proper fixed or six in one screwdriver.

Something you can hammer tacks with.

Where are you located? I'm assuming that mention of a campus puts you somewhere near an actual hardware or department store.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

crochambeau wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:15 pm Yeah, those jewelers screwdrivers are nice to have for fine work, but I prefer cracking cases with a proper fixed or six in one screwdriver.

Something you can hammer tacks with.

Where are you located? I'm assuming that mention of a campus puts you somewhere near an actual hardware or department store.
I'm at University of Maryland, and I'm sure that there's a hardware store I could get to, but I'm pretty sure they don't want us to leave the campus for the first two weeks because of the plague unless it's necessary. I bought the jeweler's drivers because they were the smallest screwdrivers I could find at the on-campus store, the only other tool being a normal screwdriver that was slightly too wide to go into the Monotron's screw holes.
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

Some pliers or something similar might give you enough leverage to turn the handle on those jeweler's screwdrivers while clamping down on the base to get better torque action. Masking tape might help if it's wrapped around the clamping mechanism of whatever you use to grip the screwdriver better.

Masking tape on the tip might actually help too, if it's enough to fit into and brace again the screw divot.
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

xc2xbe dead wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:23 pm Some pliers or something similar might give you enough leverage to turn the handle on those jeweler's screwdrivers while clamping down on the base to get better torque action. Masking tape might help if it's wrapped around the clamping mechanism of whatever you use to grip the screwdriver better.

Masking tape on the tip might actually help too, if it's enough to fit into and brace again the screw divot.
Haven't been able to try pliers, but the tape on the screwdriver head didn't work. I think the screwdrivers are just still too big. The smallest Philips head is a #0, but only the very end has been turned silver (whatever coating on the metal made it dark has stripped right off in my attempts to use it) and it rocks noticeably inside the screw. I think these things are so small you need some kind of specialty screwdriver to remove them.
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

So, I was finally able to get it open while home for the weekend. Here's the best gut shots I could get, front and back of the circuit board.
20200906_110451.jpg
20200906_110525.jpg
There's some kind of substances on the back of the board, but I can't tell if they're leftovers from how things were attached or not.