Noise lair, synth dungeon, bedroom, shop, lab, etc.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: Noise lair, synth dungeon, bedroom, shop, lab, etc.

Post by NoiseWiki »

Finally adding insulation to the roof and a vent with a fan as it has been getting unbearably hot lately. Ideally the attic space will be air tight. You can already feel the draft from the fan. The foam insulation sheets are reflective on the side facing out to reflect radiant heat away.
20220714_193939.jpg
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

Lads, how do you organise your pedals? I've always found storing them neatly and accessibly to be a real pain in my fuckin' ass.
yhdnxgdf.jpg
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Well I sure as hell wouldn’t put them next to a window. Or low enough for kids to reach, in your case.
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

BPJ wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:11 pm Lads, how do you organise your pedals? I've always found storing them neatly and accessibly to be a real pain in my fuckin' ass.

At this point, I have no wall space left, but I've considered putting up custom wall shelving designed to accomodate most compact/roughly Boss-sized pedals possible, with an emphasis on maximizing storage capacity and accessibility (most pedals are easy enough to recognize without necessarily seeing the labels), so something similar to a tape rack, minus the vertical dividers, which would limit wiggle room and complicate shit unnecessarily. Ideally, I'd have a few bigger shelves to store bigger pedals too.

Right now though, I'm resorting to Tetrising pedals into awful Sterilite drawers and tucking them into/under every available flat surface. They're like fungi sprouting all over my room as I've started buying loads of pedals again after indefinitely loaning a large portion of what I had to my nephew.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

¾ dead wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:09 pmloaning a large portion of what I had to my nephew
Awww, that legit warms my heart: good ol’ uncle Jon, passing down the disease to the next generation.

Haven’t tried this myself, but I saved this plausibly good idea from a certain image board:
7401F5B2-E8CF-4722-AB16-10A81D721562.jpeg
Viewed 1242 times
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

I hate gear. I am schizophrenic and am entitled to do so... I hate that it's over there and not here under my hands :D
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

FAP wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:21 pm
¾ dead wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:09 pmloaning a large portion of what I had to my nephew
Awww, that legit warms my heart: good ol’ uncle Jon, passing down the disease to the next generation.

Haven’t tried this myself, but I saved this plausibly good idea from a certain image board:
Not that I am trying to lead him into the ghetto of noise, as he was mostly curious about them for guitar, but I did included a squarewave matrix oscillator-thing and an Altoids shaker and a telephone mic... >_>

Similar to the prev. suggestion, at work, they build a lot of shit out of extruded aluminum like this that you cut to size and screw together with connectors, which may be another option for a shelf or wall rack system:
20220715_224650.jpg
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

¾ dead wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:09 pmsomething similar to a tape rack, minus the vertical dividers, which would limit wiggle room and complicate shit unnecessarily.
Best idea, I will steal it.
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

I'd like to see it whenever you can get something done. My current situation is getting the fuck out of control. It just gets worse and worse the further down you go.
pedals1.png
pedals2.png
pedals3.png
pedals4.png
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

BPJ wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:11 pm Lads, how do you organise your pedals? I've always found storing them neatly and accessibly to be a real pain in my fuckin' ass.

I'm loving the sliding shelf concept, but it's expensive to set up. I just bought another pair of 24 inch (61 cm to you civilized folk) full extension slides to "free up" the shelf that supports my mixer. A similar application could be figured for your space, maybe utilizing heavy metal filing cabinets which are still largely available and cheap/free in their blooming obsolescence.

Here are shots of my existing shelf, I plan on doing the same with the one below it.
sheflrecessed.JPG
Viewed 1223 times
sheflextnd.JPG
Viewed 1223 times
rails.JPG
Viewed 1223 times
I'm using these, but I would expect similar options on your side of the pond: https://www.richelieu.com/us/en/categor ... ty/1061256
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/