Recent Acquisitions

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: Recent Acquisitions

Post by crochambeau »

¾ dead wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:36 pm I'm not familiar with that unit at all, but I appreciate the stylish late-90's fax machine/teleconference equipment aesthetic. Makes me think of some older Waldorf stuff.

Good luck. Please consider sharing some sounds if possible.
I'm absolutely overdue for sharing some sounds, I'll make right on that.
BPJ wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:35 am That's a great sampler, you got an amazing deal.
According to the listing, it's currently bricked. So, the good deal aspect hinges on my being able to navigate its issues. I'm cautiously optimistic, and excited for the chance.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

Hope you get it going. Remember to slam as hard you can into the filter.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

The sampler arrived today.

Re-seating the internal connectors, RAM, and ROM has brought this thing around.

I've ordered another ZuluSCSI for long term memory. Until then I'll just have to read up on the manual, as the machine goes pretty deep (and yes, it sounds good).

BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

I had a feeling it would be that simple. As much as I love Emu samplers, movement has a tendency to dislodge stuff. Every time I move my 6400, I have to open it up in situ and jiggle the front panel connection.

At any rate, the Emu filters are beautiful if you slam into them. I like to put an LFO to the cutoff of a notch, send the output back in, sample it, and repeat a bunch of times. Stretch it out, filter, record. Emu should be as known for their samplers as Akai is.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

BPJ wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:23 am I had a feeling it would be that simple. As much as I love Emu samplers, movement has a tendency to dislodge stuff. Every time I move my 6400, I have to open it up in situ and jiggle the front panel connection.

At any rate, the Emu filters are beautiful if you slam into them. I like to put an LFO to the cutoff of a notch, send the output back in, sample it, and repeat a bunch of times. Stretch it out, filter, record. Emu should be as known for their samplers as Akai is.
I believe I've only got a handful of the filters that are available in the 6400, but I'll keep that in mind when I really start digging into it.

I enjoyed taking a synth chord and time compressing it to 50%, thickened it up quite nicely.

I think this machine will have strengths different than the Akai samplers, they should pair nicely. Can't wait for my SCSI emulator to show up!

crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

So I'm waiting on firmware for the ESi 4000 sampler, because it's either that or a mobo replacement as far as I can tell.

Meanwhile a friend is moving state and tossed a bunch of projects and marginal shit my way yesterday. In the pile is a Digitech RDS 3.6 which had taken a spill. The leftmost three pots had been sheared and so functionality was limited at best. That's getting attention today.

Also new to the project pile is a Denon DN-1000F CD player which won't read CDs, but with the adjustable playback speed and apparent pitch correction circuits on board I really hope I can bring that one around.

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Well hopefully this is the last rack I will need to order for a long time
300058771_5555550534505106_3911178003755253379_n.jpg
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Damn, that parcel got WORKED.

All metal and no electronics though, correct?

¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

That could have all been avoided with some interior reinforcement and fillers... When will they learn? I guess, if jostling around inside the box allowed it to do that much damage, it must be fairly sturdy at any rate...

Me? Hundreds of dollars worth of audio snakes (on order) to route multiple clusters of amateur hour bullshit into a centralized patching area. Ticking off boxes, kicking them aside... and finding more boxes underneath. Not even really started to plan out what I need in terms of MIDI cables, or if perhaps what I have already is sufficient.

No point in any of this! :bounce:

Also, a Zoom R8, which arrived a couple of days ago. Not had time to put it to any good use, but did record a couple of sessions of multi-track audio mush with it to figure out what I could on it short of consulting the manual.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

crochambeau wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:45 pm Damn, that parcel got WORKED.

All metal and no electronics though, correct?
The corners on the pieces sticking out were bent. I'd have made them take a return on it but I had been waiting ages for this. Also this was a reorder, the first time I received a table... a fucking table! Anyway the contents were complete so I just kept it

I have over a dozen if these and it's the first one that was damaged but also the first one shipped via USPS which was not my choice.

Sone were shipped with straps on the box which would have kept things together in this case