Recent Acquisitions

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

banned
Merzfinity

Re: Recent Acquisitions

Post by banned »

I am seriously thinking about getting a cv matrix mixer for the second time. I just got a disability payment that will cover it, and I even ave enough to sell on to do so... but idk, feeling weird about it for a few reasons.

:deadbanana: :deadbanana: :jerkoff: :jerkoff:

:)
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

FAP wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:18 pm Took me five years but I finally got my ODB-3 back after selling it for no good reason, AND invested in the “cone shredder” combo to boot (yeah it’s the reissue: if that’s a problem for you then you must not have very many problems).
Not sure if they are 1:1 copies as I seem to recall there was a discontinued sub generator IC in the original. But yeah, I bought that Meatbox reissue recently as well. Seems like there's a blowout on them now, yet not for the Gonkulator... Maybe another batch was produced (seems like they were "discontinued" years ago, according to always-reliable Internet hearsay though). Whatever. I randomly discovered some Chinese knock-offs of some of those DOD reissues, this one being the cutest and most intriguing:
https://reverb.com/item/43031375-ringmo ... ring-knobs
No Meatbox clone that I am aware of, though.

Me?

I am now up to THREE ODB-3's. In a protracted fit of burn-out and trying to cope by way of... aesthetic(?) regression, I went off the deep end buying pedals I didn't have anymore, either for having had to sell them or having loaned them to my nephew. I have accumulated several duplicates and triplicates, particularly of distortions, in the process. My urge to buy so much was also partly a reaction to this inspiring/inexplicably grotesque video (I really can't explain why, but it strikes me as being the pedal board equivalent of horrible, incognizant, animate vegetation dumbly going about some incomprehensible process of consuming a mutilated, putrid dead mammal, or of insects milling around and crawling on top of each other; Mild seed pod boob vibes):

Gotta load up on some Danelectro FAB Metals soon... >_>
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

That video is a thing of beauty.
Speaking of knock-offs, I was surprised by just how spartan the Meatbox reissue packaging was: a non-descript cardboard box with a one-page instruction manual and a cheap H&M’s DOD sticker. It reminds me of a shoebox. I did some digging online and it does in fact seem to be the real deal; I was honestly worried I got a counterfeit or something.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

yes, that video is garish.
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

drift wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:21 pm I am seriously thinking about getting a cv matrix mixer for the second time. I just got a disability payment that will cover it, and I even ave enough to sell on to do so... but idk, feeling weird about it for a few reasons.

Pladask gear is top notch

Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Can confirm the Matrise is a fine bit of kit; I don't know if it passes CV though, I've only ever used it for audio.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

On the subject of the Meatbox, I have an original which I love, and Hulk by Mantic Conceptual. which is a clone. The Hulk sounds very slightly different, and I actually prefer it for my purposes, it seems less jumpy and has a much smoother sub. I'm not sure how much of it is my imagination.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

Soloman Tump wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:31 am
drift wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:21 pm I am seriously thinking about getting a cv matrix mixer for the second time. I just got a disability payment that will cover it, and I even ave enough to sell on to do so... but idk, feeling weird about it for a few reasons.

Pladask gear is top notch

that looks fun! I actually meant a matrix mixer that you can trigger / sequence. I feel I need a means to easily control audio and cv flow through (the remains of) my synth
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

could think outside the box and do the Doepfer A-150-8 with a trigger sequencer of some description (the noise engineering has 8 outputs)

but then the livestock electronics mixer has more features and is smaller than the two together.

dunno if the latter sounded good enough tho. any opinions?
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

BPJ wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:34 pm On the subject of the Meatbox, I have an original which I love, and Hulk by Mantic Conceptual. which is a clone. The Hulk sounds very slightly different, and I actually prefer it for my purposes, it seems less jumpy and has a much smoother sub. I'm not sure how much of it is my imagination.
never played a meatbox... might look up some videos, later. not that I am in the market for new gear.

yeah, I'm getting the deepfer. apparently it can cause drops in cv, but it's 100 quid cheaper, with the noise engineering sequencer.

:die: should be fun to have.