Recent Acquisitions

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

crochambeau
Merzwow

Recent Acquisitions

Post by crochambeau »

Blows my mind this thread has not been made. Would not surprise me if I'm just dense as fuck and overlooked it. Anyway, without further ado:

Broken Korg DW-8000 and broken Ensoniq ESQ-1.
synths.JPG
Viewed 2831 times
I contacted the seller because of the Korg, having not yet shaken the seller's remorse from the one I sold in 1997-8. It was listed as having a bad transistor in the PSU and a cracked PCB with broken traces on the voice board.

Turns out, the seller was an old friend, so I went home with them both. The ESQ-1 has some dodgy logic fucking things up.

These will wind up in the what's on your bench thread, i am sure.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: Recent Acquisitions

Post by NoiseWiki »

I had an ESQ1 for a bit in the early 90's unfortunately it got fried during an electrical storm when I was living in this really shitty formerly condemned house in Chicago. I took it to a repair shop and couldn't afford the repair so I just abandoned it. I recently cruised ebay for one recently and the prices were a bit much. I recall it being a total nightmare to program but it had some good stock sounds and a decent sequencer for the time.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

The Ensoniq is on the bench now that I'm in a holding pattern on the Korg until I have a backup battery installed.

I'm discovering proper service data for the ESQ-1 is scarce. Their official service manual essentially amounts to a flow chart to determine which board needs replacing.

I had a VFX for a while, never fell in love with it. I read that the ESQ-1 has more grit and character, so maybe it will pull its weight (which is substantial).

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

I currently only own one full size keyboard which is an EMU Emax II sampler. It was a pretty sweet sampler back in the day. As a keyboard is not bad.. although doesn't have aftertouch nor weighted keys not like I really have any use for those things but I keep telling myself if I get all this shit set back up I'm going to do some midi crsp with all the rack sound modules and other rack samplers I have.

I've made alot of room and still have space in my new storage unit so I can figure out the layout with all this other crap in the way.

Unfortunately I had planned to get a table from ikea and they are put of everything I could use. So guess I'm gonna have to DIY that. I just need a table top really.. will probably just put it on top of some rolling 19 metal racks.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

NoiseWiki wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:41 pmI just need a table top really.. will probably just put it on top of some rolling 19 metal racks.
Sounds like a job for an old door, the handle hole even makes for passable wire management.

I got the ESQ-1 working. I'm going to bide my time and make sure it stays working before I spend too much time building patches, but so far I do like it more than my memory of the VFX.

Good luck on your space!

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

crochambeau wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:13 pm
Sounds like a job for an old door, the handle hole even makes for passable wire management.
Heh.. well it needs to be pretty deep, deeper than the typical door is wide and I don't have any old doors. I have a desk that I may take off the original legs.

My other idea was to build a giant drawer to mount under said table for the sampler
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Both the ESQ-1 & DW-8000 are more or less operational at this point. The DW-8000 needs an overhaul on the keyboard in a bad way, but the synth engine is back at it and a delight to behold. The ESQ-1 it seems is fully operational, but I'm going to recap the PSU before I deliver it back to its rightful owner.

I really should dig into the Six Trak that inspired the thread of like name on Maniacs, now that I've got some wind in my sails.

parasitenurse
Noise Person

Post by parasitenurse »

Wound up getting a Portastudio 424 for free this week. The play and record heads don't engage. Taking it to a shop in Chinatown this week to hopefully get it fixed and then it's time for a tape loop side project. Has anyone experienced and successfully serviced something like this before? The capstans spin so I can't imagine its a motor malfunction.

Joystick switcher by Gen Thalz.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

How does the switcher work? I gather that therexe2x80x99s probably four inputs and four outputs but the joystick in combination with the buttons confuses me.
parasitenurse
Noise Person

Post by parasitenurse »

FAP wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:37 pm How does the switcher work? I gather that therexe2x80x99s probably four inputs and four outputs but the joystick in combination with the buttons confuses me.
joystick is an 8-directional switcher. the top buttons are on/off switches for each channel and the bottom buttons are momentary switches.