Max/MSP and similar digital processing?

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Max/MSP and similar digital processing?

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

I've recently gotten into Keith Fullerton Whitman's Playthroughs album (far more ambient/drone than noise, but it's at least adjacent), which is all guitar processed through a Max/MSP patch to the point it sounds nothing like a guitar at all. As someone constantly on the search for methods of mutating sound sources into something entirely alien but who's been largely unwilling to go to the laptop for processing because of the perceived complexity, I'd be interested in hearing about any of your experiences making noise with Max or other processing software. It seems neat, but would it actually encourage brute noisiness and wild sound realms to a degree pedals can't reach rather than just endless mechano-ambient?
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: Max/MSP and similar digital processing?

Post by NoiseWiki »

The Mysterious Creep wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:10 pm I've recently gotten into Keith Fullerton Whitman's Playthroughs album (far more ambient/drone than noise, but it's at least adjacent), which is all guitar processed through a Max/MSP patch to the point it sounds nothing like a guitar at all. As someone constantly on the search for methods of mutating sound sources into something entirely alien but who's been largely unwilling to go to the laptop for processing because of the perceived complexity, I'd be interested in hearing about any of your experiences making noise with Max or other processing software. It seems neat, but would it actually encourage brute noisiness and wild sound realms to a degree pedals can't reach rather than just endless mechano-ambient?
I'd say anything is achievable with a computer. The biggest issue is that unlike analog devices if you add 20+ virtual death metals your processor might crap out. Otherwise you can basically connect audio signals between modules like a bunch of pedals.
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

NoiseWiki wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:25 am I'd say anything is achievable with a computer. The biggest issue is that unlike analog devices if you add 20+ virtual death metals your processor might crap out. Otherwise you can basically connect audio signals between modules like a bunch of pedals.
Solid point. Then again, I also can't add 20+ physical death metals to my setup because my wallet would crap out, so nothing ventured really. I suppose the biggest question is whether or not using digital processing is an at all intuitive or satisfying experience, since my main hold-up has been the fear it's going to be mind-numbingly boring and fiddly to work with.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
-NRRRRK-
Noise Person

Post by -NRRRRK- »

The Mysterious Creep wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:56 pm I suppose the biggest question is whether or not using digital processing is an at all intuitive or satisfying experience, since my main hold-up has been the fear it's going to be mind-numbingly boring and fiddly to work with.
For production-purposes I find digital equipment (plugins) really useful, especially if you are shooting for the sound of a certain vintage compressor, EQ or you are looking for some handy tools to control low-end etc.

But when it comes to the actual process of creating new material I stick to analog/real-world gear as much as I can. I used some soft-synths for the new Noiswerrrrk material, but I am scanning the market for some affordable analog alternatives. The GUI can be as pretty as can be, moving faders or knobs with a mouse just does not cut if for me.

When it comes to guitar, there is no place for digital-processing in my setup at all. It's all tube amps and analog pedals.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

I have a friend who employs Max/MSP (or something similar, I forget as I'm not rooted enough in the computer world to make a distinction) to excellent results. I do not know how much time has been spent in the weeds on setting stuff up, but once you build a library of processing paths and have them mapped to an external controller of some sort (that aspect is important) it can get very, very capable.

It seems to boil down to personal temperament though, as it does take losing a chunk of time in the digital weeds to reap any payoff, but the longer you stay the more you can carve out for sure.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

crochambeau wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:41 am I have a friend who employs Max/MSP (or something similar, I forget as I'm not rooted enough in the computer world to make a distinction) to excellent results.
Miller Puckette created Max which was later turned into a commercial product. He wrote a free version called Puredata.

Max originally did not do signal processing and later MSP was added. Puredata also has signal processing.

Back in the day doing real-time signal processing was a big ask. There was a great program on the Mac called Soundhack. Theres a new version. Anyway it was also node based like most of these programs meaning you have modules(nodes) that you can patch together into networks.

VSTs are similar but in most cases you are using them in a DAW and they are stacked and don't usually allow patching other than one effect after another on a track of audio.

Of interest might be programs like Csound which is more of a scripting language that now has real-time abilities. When I first used it in the early 90s you rendered the resulting audio from your script.

There also was Kyma running on the Capybaras audio engine which was a node based language and specialized dsp hardware. Symbolic Sound discontinued the hardware since any desktop computer can handle a fairly amount of audio processing now without special hardware.

For me the real challenge has been using a hybrid of computer and analog in real-time. For example sending audio back and forth introduces a significant signal lag.

I still haven't fully experimented with using Pd (puredata) to generate sequences and signals to control my modular synth.
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

NoiseWiki wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:28 am
Miller Puckette created Max which was later turned into a commercial product. He wrote a free version called Puredata.

Max originally did not do signal processing and later MSP was added. Puredata also has signal processing.
I only now got that MSP refers to signal processing, I just thought it was a weird name.
melko
Noiser

Post by melko »

mr. Creep, take a look at this thing:
http://www.axoloti.com/

Some good examples of what it can do can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/MatthewTyas/s ... ry=axoloti

tl;dr:
A very cheap piece of hardware that runs a virtual modular environment akin to Max MSP, editing is done on a computer, put once the patch is complete, you can use it standalone as a part of your pedalboard. Got midi, but you can also soldier some pots onto the board itself.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

melko wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:06 am mr. Creep, take a look at this thing:
http://www.axoloti.com/

Some good examples of what it can do can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/MatthewTyas/s ... ry=axoloti

tl;dr:
A very cheap piece of hardware that runs a virtual modular environment akin to Max MSP, editing is done on a computer, put once the patch is complete, you can use it standalone as a part of your pedalboard. Got midi, but you can also soldier some pots onto the board itself.
I've thought about trying one of those out for years but they are never in stock when I think about getting one
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

You might be interested in AudioMulch. This was used pretty heavily on Nine Inch Nails' album The Fragile to make the guitars sound more like synthesizers. There's a more modern application that's similar called Pure Data which is free. Pure Data is used in devices like the Organelle, which can be pricey, but you can still check out the creator's patches and their community's patches if you want to start with something functional to work off of