Profanity delays

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

timdrage
Noise Artist

Profanity delays

Post by timdrage »

Feel like these kind of things could be interesting in a rack setup :stfu:

95-627_01.jpg
Viewed 932 times
For use in live broadcast programs to prevent unwanted or obscene material from being transmitted, this delay unit is intended for insertion in the studio output path. An automatic audio 'stretch' algorithm allows between 2 and 55 seconds of delay to be built up live whilst 'on air', whilst maintaining the correct pitch. Alternatively the delay can be acquired whilst playing a pre-selected audio file on a Compact Flash memory card. Once 'in delay', unwanted material may be removed from the output by several ways, involving the deletion of a number of seconds of the buffered audio signal or substituting an audio file from the memory card. B
crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: Profanity delays

Post by crochambeau »

You would have to force repeats on it by way of a feedback path as they are hard wired for one shot echo. It would be cool if the mute/bleep function could be set up as an alternate signal source.

I've never messed with one, so I have no idea how easy they are to modify.

Broadcast gear can be expensive outside the surplus market, might make for an interesting hunt.

You should buy one!
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

I forget the model but I worked at a post production house and they had a ton of old gear laying around (supposedly they needed to keep this shit because it was collateral for their loans) and let me borrow this Lexicon delay they had. They had been using it to counter variations in audio based on tape speed from a 1" reel to reel video deck. I didn't get much in the way if interesting sounds out of it and gave it back but I wish I had kept it because I quit not to much longer after that and they'd probably have forgotten I had it.

They also have a Symbolics graphic computer the size of a half height refrigerator. This line of computers was used for the War In The Gulf graphics and we almost sold it to the guy who did those graphics for parts because he was still using them even though they were beyond obsolete in the 90s
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

NoiseWiki wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:59 amLexicon delay they had. They had been using it to counter variations in audio based on tape speed from a 1" reel to reel video deck.
I remember seeing a delay based corrective device at my favorite used stereo gear shop around the turn of the century. They wanted much more than I was willing to spend (but let's be honest, I've always been a cheapskate) and at the time I would not have had the faintest idea what to do with it. Even now... I seem to recall there being speed correction controls to lock sync audio to another source and all sorts of mayhem. I totally forget the brand, but want to say it was in the beige/orange color range.

Broadcast gear can be a blast, and often has a decent headroom when shown our puny +4 nominal levels.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

I briefly used one of them at my old job. The effect is kind of a muffled, underwater sound when it starts to slow the audio.
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

I found a video of someone describing the unit here, but they don't demonstrate it. Imagine how many views this video would have pulled in if he just started barking off profanities

This unit seems a little more advanced. Once you dump the offending audio, it'll save it to be reviewed later if you want. It'd be interesting to make a recording out of the cut and dumped parts separately

Finally, I found this training video for how to use one of these profanity filters. I just thought it was funny because the video opens with a narrator saying "Welcome to the Intercom Nor-fuck profanity delay tutorial". Might make for a good sample
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

Only four seconds? The one I used had a seven second dump. Probably because the producer was slow as fuck.