How to get a specific sound

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: How to get a specific sound

Post by crochambeau »

Glass_Season wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:51 am Yeah.....like I said in my initial post I'm trying to get that sound with an electric guitar (w/ 2 Contact Mics built into it) & some Effects Pedals....
Well, let us know how you make out, clearly we're not going to be able to type out a magic bullet for you. Gotta experiment and build from there. It will take time.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
Glass_Season
Noise Person

Post by Glass_Season »

clearly we're not going to be able to type out a magic bullet for you. Gotta experiment and build from there. It will take time.
[/quote]

Not expecting a magic bullet, just looking for ideas, advice and tips on how to get that sorta sound with the stuff I've got, stuff like that.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Glass_Season wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:14 pm just looking for ideas, advice and tips on how to get that sorta sound with the stuff I've got, stuff like that.
Scoop your mids and run the amp loud enough to excite the room so you can play with feedback.

Are you familiar with (amplitude) envelopes?

Guitar source is an entirely different envelope than woodwinds or brass.

I would suggest bowing the strings over plucking, or finding another method to "vibrate" without the attack stage of a plucked note. Rubbing things together, etc.

If you're trying to do this "in the box" or "direct to tape" without annoying the neighbors I don't have any ideas.

Everything sounds pushed, but that does not always mean a string of maximum settings.

Glass_Season
Noise Person

Post by Glass_Season »

Also what do you mean by a 'high pass filter', NoiseWiki? And no I'm not familiar with amplitude envelopes. Honestly I'm just starting to (sort of) figure out how to make decent enough noise music, so I still have a lot to learn (obviously)
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Glass_Season wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:10 pm Also what do you mean by a 'high pass filter', NoiseWiki? And no I'm not familiar with amplitude envelopes. Honestly I'm just starting to (sort of) figure out how to make decent enough noise music, so I still have a lot to learn (obviously)
High pass filter only allows high frequencies to pass through it therefor eliminating low frequencies
Glass_Season
Noise Person

Post by Glass_Season »

High pass filter only allows high frequencies to pass through it therefor eliminating low frequencies
Hmm, I’m interested! Any pedals out there (preferably cheaper ones) that could do that for me?
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Glass_Season wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:18 pm

Hmm, I’m interested! Any pedals out there (preferably cheaper ones) that could do that for me?
You can use any eq pedal to do this by simply turning down the low end.

But here's a really cheap passive pedal

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132724637812?h ... Sw0URbX7S2
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Glass_Season wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:10 pm And no I'm not familiar with amplitude envelopes.
Acoustics is a very deep subject, you could spend a lifetime exploring it.

In short:

Picked guitar (or piano, etc.) is going to have a percussive transient attack compared to a sax, horn, voice or bowed string. In my admittedly brief listen to the sounds you provided it seemed fairly devoid of stuff like pick attacks. It also sounded, to me (I very well may be wrong, so do take everything I say with a box of salt) like there were multiple instruments playing simultaneously.

So, depending on what your ear has locked into as the desired affect, this might be as simple as juggling some circuits and having at it, or it could require multiple people playing a convoluted mess live in a room (which is itself effecting the sum of high and low pressures we enjoy as sound) recorded in a particular way (arguably "incorrectly" depending on what sort of sound engineer you happen to be speaking with).

I wish you luck in your hunt. I'm unable to provide specifics because I don't have your gear, and while I tend to have a loose idea of what something does - that is very different than knowing first hand how it (a device) will interact with its neighbor (another device) through your cables, in your amp or mixer, in your room.

It's quite lovely when you think on it, there are people arguing about the tonal nuance of two tubescreamers built in different years while the rest of us are free to flail about with no fucks given.

Have fun!

Glass_Season
Noise Person

Post by Glass_Season »

It also sounded, to me (I very well may be wrong, so do take everything I say with a box of salt) like there were multiple instruments playing simultaneously.
For what it's worth the samples are from the Borbetomagus album 'Experience The Magic', with 3 people (2 Tenor Saxs & a Guitar) playing, and thanks for all the info!
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

This is also where the art of noise (not max headroom) or being organic or whatever creative term is the X factor for a type of sound.

Having all the exact same tools as the original artist is great but you may...probably will... struggle to nail the style down or not find it at all.

As mentioned above. Techniques and playing style are gonna come into play and that can be very unique to the performer. Example...black Sabbath guitar sound had a lot to do with Toni Iommi missing part of a finger..2 fingers? Or sonic youth having a literal box of differently stringed and tuned guitars for different songs when playing live.

And its ok of you can't really find somebody elses sound because along the way you can find your own sound.

Any how good luck figuring this out and be sure to share the results!
place holder