How to get a specific sound

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

Glass_Season
Noise Person

How to get a specific sound

Post by Glass_Season »

So I’m looking for every note I play on my guitar to sound like the opening notes to ‘Bathed In The Blood Of The Lamb’ (Borbetomagus ( )), that sort of powerful, high-pitched shrieking sound. I’ve been able to get some real cool, harsh sounds with the setup I’ve got but it’s still not exactly what I’m looking for.
I currently have a: Boss Bass OverDrive ODB-3, Boss Compression Sustainer CS-3, Boss Digital Delay DD-8, Boss Line Selector, Boss MetalZone, Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2, Boss Reverb RV-6, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Danelectro Fab Flange, Danelectro Fab Tone, Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ, Digitech Grunge, DOD BuzzBox, DOD Death Metal FX86B, DOD Envelope Filter FX25B, DOD Gonkulator (Reissue), DOD IceBox, Electro Harmonix Bad Stone, Electro Harmonix Holy Grail, Electro Harmonix Memory Toy, Ultrasonic Ring Modulator*. Note that I also have 2 Contact Mics built into my guitar that I always max out.
How do you think I could get that sound with the pedals I’ve got? Is it possible?... I’m open to buying another pedal or 2, as long as it’s nothing too expensive (I want to have results that I can easily replicate, and if worst comes to worst and a pedal breaks I don’t really have $300+ to throw around for a BuzzBox, 4ms Noise Swash, Echoplex, or something like that).
Please be as specific as possible (Pedal Order, Specific Settings).

melko
Noiser

Re: How to get a specific sound

Post by melko »

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Well I don't have many of these pedals or intend to try to replicate the sound but the effect you want could be made with resonance or sustain and a high pass filter. Some of the pedals you list will aid in that more than others.

I'd try these pedals in this order

Boss Compression Sustainer CS-3
Ultrasonic Ring Modulator*
Boss MetalZone,
Glass_Season
Noise Person

Post by Glass_Season »

melko, that's a cool sound for sure, close, but not quite what I'm looking for. The sound I'm looking for is like a more 'organic', less artificial version of the sample you showed me (if that makes any sense).

Hopefully this video helps clear things up, it should give everyone a much better idea of the sound I’m looking for: .
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Glass_Season wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:52 am melko, that's a cool sound for sure, close, but not quite what I'm looking for. The sound I'm looking for is like a more 'organic', less artificial version of the sample you showed me (if that makes any sense).

Hopefully this video helps clear things up, it should give everyone a much better idea of the sound I’m looking for: .
Some of the whistling at the beginning is probably a saxophone so get you one of those
Glass_Season
Noise Person

Post by Glass_Season »

Some of the whistling at the beginning is probably a saxophone so get you one of those
[/quote]

Yep, Borbetomagus is 2 Tenor Saxophones & an Electric Guitar
melko
Noiser

Post by melko »

Glass_Season wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:52 am The sound I'm looking for is like a more 'organic', less artificial version of the sample you showed me (if that makes any sense).
of course it makes sense
the original uses real analog gear
and i used an old vst plugin
could probably improve the sound with some tweaks, but I'm too lazy

the bottom line is, as NoiseWiki pointed above, you need a highpass (or possibly bandpass) resonant filter
the closest thing you already have is DODFX25B, but it is likely not close enough to replicate the tone you're after
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

If sax is not your jam, you can also look for an air compressor, get a triggered blower tip, and then press that onto/into objects and blast them with air.

(please note it is inadvisable to shoot air into your skin, as I understand it can in fact be lethal under certain circumstances).
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
Glass_Season
Noise Person

Post by Glass_Season »

the bottom line is, as NoiseWiki pointed above, you need a highpass (or possibly bandpass) resonant filter
the closest thing you already have is DODFX25B, but it is likely not close enough to replicate the tone you're after
[/quote]

So far I've had some luck with the FX25B - I can get some cool, crazy sounds out of it, but still not what I'm looking for.... Any particular recommendations?
Glass_Season
Noise Person

Post by Glass_Season »

crochambeau wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:26 am If sax is not your jam, you can also look for an air compressor, get a triggered blower tip, and then press that onto/into objects and blast them with air.

(please note it is inadvisable to shoot air into your skin, as I understand it can in fact be lethal under certain circumstances).
Yeah.....like I said in my initial post I'm trying to get that sound with an electric guitar (w/ 2 Contact Mics built into it) & some Effects Pedals....