DAC.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

BPJ
Noiser

DAC.

Post by BPJ »

This is probably a long shot. I'm getting a new tv, and they all seem to have digital outs. The one my wife wants has optical output, and I want to run the sound through my old amp. Do any of you guys have a recommendation for a DAC? I've never needed one before, and know nothing about them.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: DAC.

Post by crochambeau »

Nary an analog output to be seen?

I've been playing a bit with converters, but early stuff with spdif, so I don't know if my experience is valuable in this instance.

I've found this stuff to be really plug & play on the hardware side. There needs to be a connected send to receive path, and the two units need to be set to the same thing in terms of bit depth and sample rate. I'd hope a toslink or HDMI source would carry all the information to the converter, which would just do its work automagically.

I find it's true that different converters sound different. They can all mostly pull off the sort of hifi one would want for TV watching, so I wouldn't sweat shopping around for a "nice" one, unless it's somehow going to be used in audio mastering (hahaha).
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

I can't seem to find one at all with analog outs. Pretty disappointing, really, but I guess it's not surprising. I didn't consider the bit depth, etc, needed to be set to the same thing, but it makes sense. I may have to buy a cheapo one and see if I need to upgrade later on down the line. I have no interest in introducing this horseshit to my set up, it's confusing enough with all the fuckin' wires without needing to be worrying over internal settings.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

BPJ wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:28 am it's confusing enough with all the fuckin' wires without needing to be worrying over internal settings.
I'd be blown away if you have to dick around with ANY settings in this day & age. I'm messing with shit from the early 1990s. These days I think you can plug the stuff in and then hang it down the back of the equipment shelving and forget about it until dust bunny eviction day rolls around.

I might have to give one of these little 192 kHz bastards a go at some point.
NoiseWiki wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:29 am
This did not show up in my browser (while viewing the forum), adblock my end? I see converters are stupid cheap these days. I'll continue to fondle my deep 3U, 30 pound beast of through hole insanity, thank you very much.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

I've definitely become a luddite with technology. Now there's OLED. What's OLED? It's like LED, but now with an O I suppose. Or maybe not at all. Why do I need 4K Ultra HD? I have a stigmatism and no fuckin' depth perception, my actual eyes barely see 240P. You could flash a torch in front of me and I'd love it. I'm just crotchety, realising that the new television will last a couple of years, and soon all the regular televisions with tubes will kick the bucket, there'll be none left, and I'll have to play my Damien Steele text adventures on a €1000 90K Super Ultra HD 3D wrap-around implant I've been forced to get because otherwise my fucking card won't work at the grocery store, and I can't easily get a fuckin' analog signal out of a television without voiding the warranty on an expensive wall-mounted atrocity.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

BPJ wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:23 pm I've definitely become a luddite with technology. Now there's OLED. What's OLED? It's like LED, but now with an O I suppose. Or maybe not at all.
The main difference between an LED TV and an OLED TV is that the pixels of an OLED TV are self illuminating, whereas the LEDs in an LED TV are used to light an LCD display. OLED screens are lighter and thinner, use less energy and offers the best viewing angle by far.