Releasing the smoke

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Releasing the smoke

Post by NoiseWiki »

Oops!
20220223_212631.jpg
crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: Releasing the smoke

Post by crochambeau »

That looks smelly.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

crochambeau wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:16 am That looks smelly.
very smelly.. it's been outside since last saturday and it still smells
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

So I hadn't run the rc truck for almost two years and finally broke it out although now I have to go to a nearby park that happens to have a really large area perfect for rc trucks instead of my backyard. Anyway everytime I go out it usually only lasts for 15 mins or so before something breaks. This time not more than a few minutes passed after I dropped the truck on the ground and started driving it when it ran into a bush. As I was walking towards it I saw a flash and then a two tall flame shot out of it. Fortunately by the time I got to it the flame was out and it didn't catch the bush on fire. I still don't know exactly what happened. Apparently the stock ESC (electronic speed control) have a habit of catching on fire so I'm chalking it up to it was this ones time but I had also just replaced the gears with a belt drive and it was running faster than before so it's possible the gear ratio was causing too much heat.. hard to say.. it could be that something shorted when it crashed. :flamingbanana:
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

I have a story about changing gears on a piece of equipment from a friend who owns a machine shop.

They had a horizontal bandsaw they used to cut stock. Tinkering happened, and the gear set in the head of the machine was intentionally reversed - substantially increasing the rate of the blade, and therefore the time efficiency in the shop. I think it managed to last a few years doing that before one of the brass gears essentially turned into a sort of slaggy metal paste.

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

crochambeau wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:56 am Tinkering happened, and the gear set in the head of the machine was intentionally reversed - substantially increasing the rate of the blade
You mean like the gear ratio was swapped so it was in overdrive? Yea that'll create some heat and brass is relatively soft.

The ratio on the belt i had was definately not in overdrive mode but because but gears are now "pulleys" I had to swap the power on the motor so it'd go forward when pulling the trigger instead of reverse. AFAIK this is fine to do but it meant the wries were kinda twisted where it connects which makes me suspect there might have been a short.. although no scoring on those connections. There is telemtry for motor and esc temp I beleive so I need to get that working before I do any more hard runs. Basically need to rebuild the entire truck at this point. I just got the new ESC but I need to go through and check everything anyway. I need to test the motor to make sure it's not fried and get another if it is. The leads to temp sensor for the motor got burned so I need to replace that and hopefully the receiver module is not fried. But from what I've read alot of the stock ESC catch on fire brand new so it may have just been it's time.. too many variables.

I wanted to tried the belt setup because I kept breaking teeth off the pinion. In some cases that's because there's too many flex in the chassis causing the meshing to go awry. Before that I had issues with the pinion constantly coming loose when it got too hot. Using red loctite seemed to solve that problem.. maybe too well?
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

NoiseWiki wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:16 am
crochambeau wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:56 am Tinkering happened, and the gear set in the head of the machine was intentionally reversed - substantially increasing the rate of the blade
You mean like the gear ratio was swapped so it was in overdrive?
Yup. SPLAT!