Noise & Sound Design Tech Talk

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Re: Noise & Sound Design Tech Talk

Post by WhiteWarlock »

RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

WhiteWarlock wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:27 pm

The article where the guy uses metal coat hangers in place of $10k speaker cables and there was no difference. Hilarious.

I think pretention gets a lot of audiophiles
Yes you can train your self to listen and yes all the tones and frequencies matter but also not really...the melodies the rhythms the 'soul' of the singer and musician count way more...a good song is a good song no matter what its played on
place holder
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

I fancied myself as a low budget audiophile for quite a while around the turn of the century, and in many ways a lot of that has not rubbed off and hopefully never will.

It is easy to dismiss a lot of the over-zealous shit that spreads in those circles.

That said, a lot of bullshit talk about nuance and dimension does in fact push one to listen in different ways. It's a fine training course, and a lot of people need the idolatry (for lack of a more concise term) to pivot their attention to listening while the pathways are still developing in the brain. When viewed as over-imaginative children (and make no mistake, I am not framing "children" in a diminutive or derogatory manner) their nonsensical enthusiasm makes a lot more sense.

The *marketing* aspect is a completely predatory wasteland however. I encourage the stout of heart to embrace DIY whenever possible.

Truly it is a joy to behold a heavy work of audio on a sound system that can carry the load, it's just easy to get lost in the minutia amidst the noise (make no mistake, I AM framing "noise" in a derogatory manner within this context HAHAHAHAHA)
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/