Programmable guitar tuners for custom tuning presets?

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

¾ dead
Merzwow

Programmable guitar tuners for custom tuning presets?

Post by ¾ dead »

Try as I might, I can't seem to find a tuner that let's you save custom tuning points per string in banks of presets. SURELY this exists, but I cannot find such a thing after months of looking off and on.

Please help. The best I can do as is to record every string and tune back by ear. I want an easy, blinky-lights visual indicator to simplify things as much as possible.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: Programmable guitar tuners for custom tuning presets?

Post by crochambeau »

You still retune the instrument by hand though, right? The tuner just acting like a dial indicator to hit target frequencies while you ape the knob into place.

You could go with a frequency counter if you're really deep into microtonal stuff, but beyond that I would probably "solve" this by just using a chromatic tuner and notating the tunings I was using.

Sorry I can't be of more help, this tuning instruments stuff isn't really in my comfort zone.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

Yeah, I was wondering what would a chromatic tuner not fulfil.
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

Purely offering the convenience of a visual light/color indicator, which I suppose you could potentially hack a tuner or build one from scratch with an arduino or something to do, though that's beyond me.

I'm a dumdum and can't remember tunings + don't want to have to rely on referring to notes. I also like the idea of being able to lock down tuning presets from a freq. counter that records each string's pitch assigned to string banks within a given preset quickly because I usually just tune the strings randomly until it "sounds good", without taking the exact tuning into account. That's the only benefit of programmability and bright, flashing colors, but most people aren't as dumb or as lazy as I am, so I suppose there's no real value in the idea.