Rochambeau Musical Apparatus

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

crochambeau
Merzwow

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus

Post by crochambeau »

I guess it's time for my self serving design/build thread...

RMA Monobius variant (ring modulation/fuzz)

RMA Mudlark (dynamic fuzz)

RMA Tetanus Booster (preamplifier to fuzz), current version is two switch standard (top boost, and blown out mode) but I like this shot so here it is.

RMA Crustacean (noise generator), this circuit has wound up being delivered in a variety of forms, many of which are not pictured here. The third picture in the set is a Chimera with Crustacean combined with a couple Hogsheads.

More stuff in the works and a lot of stuff not mentioned due to current availability.

In terms of the RMA builds, they typically come enclosed in a mild steel enclosure that I bend and finish myself. I do have plans to roll out simpler and utility designs in a DIY format, but none of that will include metalwork.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: Rochambeau Musical Apparatus

Post by crochambeau »

..and sometimes there are demos (time jumped past my narrative introduction). Starts in "fuzz" mode, and yes - a lot of the controls are subtle in in that state; kicks in to ring mod at 10:33. I'm also aware of the audio sync issues, this audio was pulled direct instead of from the camera and frame rate conversion did its work - should line up perfectly in some center regions HAH.

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

crochambeau wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:17 pm ..and sometimes there are demos (time jumped past my narrative introduction). Starts in "fuzz" mode, and yes - a lot of the controls are subtle in in that state; kicks in to ring mod at 10:33. I'm also aware of the audio sync issues, this audio was pulled direct instead of from the camera and frame rate conversion did its work - should line up perfectly in some center regions HAH.

Want
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

Looking forward to getting my mudlark in the new year 😁

Have plans for integration with a harmonica......
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

[[the following has been copy/pasted from an email from the 29th, feel free to DM me if you want on that email list.]]

Greetings and salutations!

Firstly: you are reading this because we have interacted in the past, and I saved this contact information for the purposes unfolding today. In the event my intrusion is unwelcome, please contact me with a simple "do not want" or "remove me" and I shall eliminate your name from my list forthwith. Rest assured, I will protect this contact information to the greatest degree of which I am able, though you are free to share my email address with anyone you feel could benefit from such activity. We're all friends here!

So, allow me a moment to outline my approach to releasing work into the world: 1st phase = email, these will not be incredibly common and will occur in advance of social media/forum announcements by at least 24 hours. 2nd phase = social media/forum updates will occur after the email unless I'm wiped out of stock. 3rd phase = reverb listing, please note that reverb listings will be a higher price accounting for an additional layer of fees.

AND ON TO THE SHOW:

Of the six pictured builds based on reproduced first version Dirty Doper circuit boards, four are available for purchase at $350 shipped CONUS (or $333 plus shipping elsewhere) each. My plan is to offer this circuit in the future as an SMD build for less, but in the event you are a stickler for through hole, hand built assembly this is your last chance to grab a fresh one straight from the maker. This build has historically been a huge headache to build, and I assure you I have no intent of building more in this manner (I only reordered PCBs because I did not have a Dirty Doper of my own to benchmark further development).
RMAdirtydoperSIXPAK.JPG
As you can see, there are at present only three units complete, the remainder should be buttoned up by end of week. Again, only four of the six pictured are for sale, which ones are unimportant.

There are a few design changes that visually differ from the units built back in 2015-2017: LED placement, CV input is standardized as 1/4" phone plug nearest the DC inlet jack, and the sidewall enjoys the low profile of ~1 inch as opposed to the original 1.5 inch. Baseplates can be offered as a simple but firm friction fit, or - if you're prone to slapping velcro onto the bottom I am happy to run hardware through the sidewall to insure everything stays together as you tug these off & on the sticky substrate of your choice.
RMA232rear.JPG
Viewed 224 times
This is a first come, first served shindig - and again, if you somehow miss out on one of these four there will more in the future, just not quite as sweat soaked and exposed to profanity during the manufacturing process.

Feel free to rattle my cage on any variety of topics, it's probably been a while; and to those who feel forgotten - you most certainly are not (though reminders never hurt).

Stay excellent,

Curtis Rochambeau