Amplifiers

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

FAP
Merzwow

Re: Amplifiers

Post by FAP »

When has it not been about the money?
crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: Amplifiers

Post by crochambeau »

crochambeau wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:54 am Magnatone Troubadour 112, awaiting a switch replacement.

That Lindell amp is a looker, love that grille cloth.
I managed to sort this amp in less than a year! HAHAHA

It had come to me as a basket case, completely gutted save controls, tube sockets, and iron. I pretty much just applied the easily searchable Magnatone 110-112 schematic to the build, only straying at inputs (the left inputs normal to both channels unless a plug is inserted in a right hand jack, then each bank goes to it's own volume control and gain stage per stock) and external speaker jack (I dropped an attenuator in there to produce a high impedance line level source to feed bigger amps), and the speaker is an old organ pull.

I decided I was tired of risking transformer cookouts, so I had to build a long overdue lamp dummy load to limit current on the burn-in. That was what took me so long. Anyway, that got sorted today and I took this little beast over to a friend's place to "jam". I am super happy with how it turned out.
DSC_0780.JPG
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/