The pedals/gear you use the most

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: A tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.

Moderator: Modulators

FAP
Merzwow

The pedals/gear you use the most

Post by FAP »

Self-explanatory. When you use a tool a lot, it ends up being the only toll you want to use, even if there's better tools out there.
...that and post some pedals that didn't live up to the hype. Yeah, I know I've kept the subject open to gear beyond just pedals, but I've yet to take the Eurorack pill so that's what's most relevant to me. I also didn't want to make it too broad: for example, it goes without saying a mixer is essential for most people's setups.
Speaking of, I guess for me the Behringer BED-700 opened my eyes to the importance of EQs in general. The Boss DD-3 was a game-changer, too.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Re: The pedals/gear you use the most

Post by Indeterminacy »

The Instant Awesomizer.
The ODB-3 is the equivalent of riding a unicorn down a chocolate mountain while
drinking from a goblet filled with the laughter of children.

odb-3.jpg
Viewed 919 times
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

I also like the DD-3, though I only have experience with the square chip, pink label vers.

Anyway, the DD-3 modded with an over-value pot to extend the delay time and a Hold toggle and a momentary button to break the loop and record new audio into the buffer has been the cornerstone of my pedal setup for years, to the point that I probably overused it before lending it out.

I used it so much, I've even wished I had a eurorack module to replicate its Hold functionality... Plenty of modules can do similar things, but I haven't found one that functions in exactly the same way or has the same immediacy and fluid control of the DD-3. I guess the Phonogene comes close, but it's not a match.

I've had a Gnarler pedal since I can't remember, and it's another one I've used to the point of over-reliance.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

¾ dead wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:48 am DD-3 modded with an over-value pot to extend the delay time and a Hold toggle and a momentary button to break the loop and record new audio into the buffer
Do you happen to remember how you modded it like this?
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

FAP wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:43 am
¾ dead wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:48 am DD-3 modded with an over-value pot to extend the delay time and a Hold toggle and a momentary button to break the loop and record new audio into the buffer
Do you happen to remember how you modded it like this?
I can't provide exact details. I just prodded solder blobs on the underside of the PCB, circuit bending style, until I found an easy access point. I do believe there are probably multiple common points to access the pitch pot and the hold function, which is easily broken by simply connecting a normally closed push button between one lug of a toggle switch and the PCB. I didn't even have to pull the PCB out to make the connections.

Unfortunately, I don't have it in my possession right now to take pictures. It's a sloppy hackjob to boot, so photos might be hard to trace back from anyway.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

The Grass Instruments S4 got tons of mileage when I was still pushing largely vacuum tube rigs. I've drifted a bit towards using more of my own builds, but that doesn't stop me from grabbing source from an S4 whenever I crave big drones.
GrassS4.JPG
Viewed 882 times
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/