Build Shit - DIY - What's On Your Bench?

Tutorials, tools, techniques, methodologies......

Moderator: Modulators

crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: Build Shit - DIY - What's On Your Bench?

Post by crochambeau »

Indeterminacy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:39 am Homebrew tac welder?
Me? No homebrew welder. I happened upon a used spot welder that was too inexpensive to choose bothering with rolling my own (which was under consideration at the time, for sure). Grabbed it when I bought my slitter, which is one of the best tool purchases I've ever made.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

Variation on a theme:
Ozone Generation.

You can't store it but you can produce quantities adequate for most applications. Odor eradication and mold abatement being the two that I have experience with. It's not an all ya gotta do thing, but common sense and a basic understanding of how an oxidizer in gas form works is needed.
Plenty of ventilation/fresh air is required and it is not for using indoors while occupied by humans or pets.

Ozone is a powerful oxidizer. It has worked for me in everything but the most stubborn nicotine smoke infused album covers imaginable.

I needed to remove the musty/mildewy/attic smell from a guitar case that had been parked in an attic for almost 20 years.
Luckily a neighbor had an old box he was recycling and I had everything else I needed. The basics are the transformer, plasma arc generating plate and fan. This style plate in the correct configuration can produce 3 grams of O3 per hour. In the pictured application shock value was exceeded. Backpressure is handled by an opening on the far side of the box.
o3 -2.jpg
Viewed 1334 times
o3 -3.jpg
Viewed 1334 times
o3 -1.jpg
These images show the plate behind the fan.
The pin prick of light is an arc burning through the plate.
This one has about 2000 hours of use.
o3 fan plate burn.jpg
o3 fan plate burn close.jpg
Viewed 1334 times
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Interesting.. if that works then great! I looked into ozone generators as a way to get the stank out of our crawlspace after our sewer line decintegrated. Anyway the listings I saw on ebay had these obscene shipping prices then I looked it up and they are basically illegal in California. Then I considered lime but thats a whole other deal. So I just put a turbine fan down there and there for the past couple of months and seems to be improving.. at least it's dry again.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

NoiseWiki wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:32 pm they are basically illegal in California.
Replenishing the ozone layer will take ages with such draconian laws on the books!

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

crochambeau wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:37 pm
NoiseWiki wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:32 pm they are basically illegal in California.
Replenishing the ozone layer will take ages with such draconian laws on the books!
The problem is ground level ozone apparently.. its not good for breathing
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

Indeterminacy wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:13 pm common sense and a basic understanding of how an oxidizer in gas form works is needed.

Plenty of ventilation/fresh air is required and it is not for using indoors while occupied by humans or pets.

Ozone is a powerful oxidizer.
The big problem is the idiots selling air purifiers that produce prodigious amounts of ozone and the idiots buying the snake oil the idiots are selling. I understand ground level ozone concerns but it would take an exceptionally large number of ozone generators running full time to come close to any appreciable level of automobile exhaust generated smog/ozone.
NoiseWiki wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:31 pm
crochambeau wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:37 pm
The problem is ground level ozone apparently.. its not good for breathing

I plugged a familiar zip code in here:
https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipmen ... ine-large/
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Indeterminacy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:41 am
I plugged a familiar zip code in here:
https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipmen ... ine-large/
Yeah just don't set one of those up in your apartment and not leave.

Apparently the typical home air ozone generators aren't dangerous to humans but also don't release enough ozone to get rid of odors.
Rabbit Girls
Noiser

Post by Rabbit Girls »

So for what it's worth, here is a pictorial of a thing I call the Catfight Device. I made one a long time ago and it got destroyed at a RUBBISh show, (imagine that?). I just made a new one that turned out quite a bit better. One key thing if you want to make one is you need a Sony WM-FX303 type walkman. It has a flexible circuit strip that attaches the play head to the board, (as opposed to soldered wires) which really make the difference and will last a lot longer since it's attached to a part that moves a lot.

This is a modern primitive repurpose of an old 5.25" floppy disc drive, (in this case I used a Toshiba) and a cassette walkman. The dismembered play head of the walkman reads the data on the floppy disc as audio. You have a ready to go line out with a volume control from the headphone jack on the walkman. Spinning the disc from underneath maketh the noise and sliding the read arm of the drive plays different tracks or sectors, (whatever) of the floppy disc. Huh.

It makes sounds ranging from multiple cats fighting to something that sounds like vinyl record scratching. It can do noisey drone type of stuff if played slow. Sounds especially cool through delay and other effects.

A couple helpful things learned along the way having built two now: To make the mounting bracket that attaches the play head to the read arm of the floppy drive, just use a paper clip. I tried all kinds of other stuff. On the first one I used really small tack nails. Paper clips work much better. Also, no need to attach the two extremely tightly. A very small bit of "play" is great, as the weight of your thumb will get different volume levels and affect the sound differently. Aluminum duct tape works great to attach them. These images are in sequence of the building process.
FullSizeRender (44).jpg
IMG_9726.JPG
IMG_9728.JPG
IMG_9723.JPG
IMG_9725.JPG
IMG_9731.JPG
FullSizeRender (46).jpg
IMG_9736.JPG
IMG_9744.JPG
IMG_9746.JPG
"His possessions multiplied, and he began to suffocate."
https://rabbitgirls.bandcamp.com
Rabbit Girls
Noiser

Post by Rabbit Girls »

I should mention the blank PCB has nothing to do with the operation. I have hundreds of them and it just made a perfect platform for the walkman to sit on. As a side note for anyone who cares, these are the same PCBs I used for the Rabbit Girls - Hard Drive 3" release.
"His possessions multiplied, and he began to suffocate."
https://rabbitgirls.bandcamp.com
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

That is a sick build, well done.

Here are pics from my first repair pass at the Korg DW-8000.

negative_rail.JPG
Viewed 1227 times

Replacing the negative analog rail pass transistor in the PSU was first up.

CR2032.JPG
Viewed 1227 times

Followed by a better backup battery situation. Part of me wanted to just draft a PCB that would mate the original holes to a SMD battery holder (since getting a holder in this footprint is apparently impossible), but out of sight, out of mind.

DW_buttons.JPG
Viewed 1227 times

Next up was replacing the bulk of the buttons (I was a few short of a whole set in my stash, thankfully a few of the originals came back with some cleaning and exercise). My new desoldering vacuum station makes this sort of thing a dream compared to thumb pumping a soldapult.

Next up is a PSU recap, and maybe a calibration process, since I lost one of the voices for a day or so before it came back. I figure I need to beef up the PSU before using it any more, and am hoping it's just a trim pot being flaky as opposed to the entire analog PCB needing fresh caps too.