Barnstorming in my underwear, a DIY story

Tutorials, tools, techniques, methodologies......

Moderator: Modulators

crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: I design/build equipment for work in sound, ask me anything

Post by crochambeau »

Social_Drift wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:25 pm the topic should be split
sometimes I chase a sound that's in my head
that's what i was asking about. is that
mostly trial and error, rather than having a clear idea about a sound and then implementing it first time
crochambeau wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:37 pm
Social_Drift wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:02 pm so design then is mostly trial and error, rather than having a clear idea about a sound and then implementing it first time?
No, not necessarily.

/snip/

Different builds are going to sprout differently, and different designers are going to have different methods as well.
TL;DR it hinges on the designer and their aims for a given circuit or sound AKA there is no absolute answer on which to hang your bet.

This is a spectator grade topic though, armchair entertainment. I'm more concerned with participatory topics here (on this thread, in this sub-forum), as I don't think I'm going to help anyone by doing a deep dive on what passes as my own process, because it's highly probable that it will not translate well in terms of someone considering it as guidance. Let me start by throwing in a few examples:

"Hey, I've got this kick ass old pedal that only takes batteries and I want to power it from a power supply without cutting a new hole, any ideas?"

"I built this perfboard effect and I want to stop it from shorting out as it hangs by wires inside of this Altoids case, how would you secure this?"

"Electricity scares me but I want to be a TV repair technician"

"Should I ________________________________________?"

"How did _____________________________________?"

"Can I do x with tool n? How could you do x with tool y?"

...and then sparks came out. I dunno, this thread seemed like a good idea this morning, and now I'm questioning my wisdom on it.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
banned
Merzfinity

Re: I design/build equipment for work in sound, ask me anything

Post by banned »

ah OK, i guess my question as too abstract / general, and needed a bit of circling in order to us to communicate clearly what was going on. the topic should have currency when it is needed: there are few "i always wondered" questions that can't be answered via google
crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: Barnstorming in my underwear, a DIY story

Post by crochambeau »

I can dig that.

To be fair though, a lot of your questions don't stick to one answer and I have no interest in talking around in circles (ala some notable philosophy threads). My intent here was to stick to providing solutions.

I'd be more open about discussing my own processes on the RMA thread, so long as it's understood that what I say there may only apply to me as an individual and it would be folly to consider it canonical with regards to any other processes or builders. I cannot stress that enough.

However, if you're in a conundrum with your set up or a build and want to resolve the issue using your own gumption and whatever tools you have on hand I'm happy to provide the odd idea and as much moral support as this format (words on the internet) will allow.

(edited to reflect improved subject, migrated to title page)

Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

Questions.
I wish to undertake my first DIY pedal build.

I work as a welder so I think I will get on fine with soldering - have done some in the past but nothing with small components.

I have very little in the way of equipment at home so I am looking to purchase my first soldering iron... have identified this as an affordable starter setup ==> LINK

Will get a heat resistant mat as well to stick on my workbench (once I have finished making it....)

I ultimately would like to build a reverb pedal (as that is what I want next) but am not sure if I should start with something simpler first - I do not yet know how they rate on the difficulty settings.

Kits like THIS look fairly straight forward, there are others on the site. Think I should start with a kit first as at least I know I will have all the right bits and there is a bit of support via their online help.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated :D
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Soloman Tump wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:46 am Questions.
I wish to undertake my first DIY pedal build.

I work as a welder so I think I will get on fine with soldering - have done some in the past but nothing with small components.
Excellent!

I have very limited experience in welding, but I have a hunch that your proficiencies will translate well. I think one of the largest pitfalls in learning soldering is getting past the "stick this to that" mentality of construction, and I'm betting with welding experience you've developed a strong sense of needing to "join" each side of a joint.
Soloman Tump wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:46 am
I have very little in the way of equipment at home so I am looking to purchase my first soldering iron... have identified this as an affordable starter setup ==> LINK
I've experience with that particular make, but it looks to have everything you'd need and a decent customer rating. Probably a fine selection.
Soloman Tump wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:46 am
Will get a heat resistant mat as well to stick on my workbench (once I have finished making it....)
I find for the most part, very little heat hits my bench. Though having something to catch flux spatter and the occasional solder blob, not to mention numerous cut legs is wise.

Definitely make sure you have a nice flush cutting pair of wire cutters. I use these, but there are many others: https://www.hakkousa.com/products/chp-t ... p-170.html

DON'T USE THEM FOR ANYTHING ELSE, or buy a spare. Nicking cutters on something like spring steel is a regretful happening.

Fume extractors are also advisable as well, if you're spending a lot of time at the bench (especially if you're adhering to RoHS stipulations).
Soloman Tump wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:46 am I ultimately would like to build a reverb pedal (as that is what I want next) but am not sure if I should start with something simpler first - I do not yet know how they rate on the difficulty settings.
Go for it.

I mean, it's always advisable to get a simple build or two under your belt, but having the drive that you're filling a hole in your set-up is just as, if not more motivational than prior accomplishments. That build looks to have decent documentation and appears to have some sort of support, so be fearless and check your values twice before soldering.

banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

what's the best you can do with poor motor skills?

like, poor enough to not seriously consider soldering... i dread the times i have to plug eurorack ribbons in
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Social_Drift wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:17 am what's the best you can do with poor motor skills?

like, poor enough to not seriously consider soldering... i dread the times i have to plug eurorack ribbons in
Watch this video:

Hand tremor mitigation through process and approach is addressed.

I realize they are painting miniatures and not soldering, but finesse is finesse.

Beyond that, there's an array of other things in the DIY realm that does not require a steady hand, but you've got to commit to some book larnin first.

Say, woodworking, smithing, and ultimately design work (though I feel it imperative to have a background in the field before reaching for that particular pearl).

banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

they are painting miniatures
ha, i got my mate to do that for me :D :oops:

it's not so much shaking, as slips, also tiredness and low confidence.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Social_Drift wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:17 am what's the best you can do with poor motor skills?

Try breadboarding first..

Pretty much everybody uses a solderless breadboard to prototype circuits except for ninja jedi experts..

A much older method may be referred to as "dead bug" also known as point to point wiring where you basically twist together the leads of the components.. it's not really a good system if you are using IC's or doing anything super complicated but once the circuit is working you can then solder the leads together and you're done.

This is what a dead bug might look like after it's been soldered together
image.png
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Social_Drift wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:58 am
they are painting miniatures
ha, i got my mate to do that for me :D :oops:

it's not so much shaking, as slips, also tiredness and low confidence.
Confidence is something you earn through a series of mistakes.

Embrace making mistakes and having to wrack your brain coming up with fixes.

If you'll allow me the indulgence of a little unsolicited advice: I feel that a HUGE COMPONENT of the angst that other forum members on other forums have historically leveraged onto you is based on the apparent nature of your piloting these sorts of inquiries and then not acting on the encouragement provided in a locked loop manner. Which is to say that beyond continued engagement with a subject little to nothing appears to get done. The result of this is twofold: 1) any energy expended by a helpful individual is apparently wasted and such individuals internalize those helpful efforts as being a waste of their time, and 2) when it is observed that you are repeating an inquiry already answered such formerly helpful individuals can become angry, as from their perspective you're just involved in catch and release fishing (AKA trolling) and are not actually trying to embrace growth and they feel duped.

SO, if the function behind all of this is simply a lack of confidence, my advice is to blow past it. Make mistakes, make a mess, make. Try not to lose a finger, BUT if losing a finger is what it would take for you to internalize shop safety, then sometimes SACRIFICES MUST BE MADE.

For the time being, all you need to lose is "yourself" - into whatever subject has displayed to you enough merit for your attentions. Time IS NOT LOST, it is invested. Avoid an instant gratification mindset and begin to realize that even the smallest facets of a given endeavor can often be applied to many aspects of you life and thus are benefits gained.

TL;DR Don't let a lack of confidence rob you of a better future. Fucking get in there and sling some solder, or whatever.