Field Recording, H1N and ...

Tutorials, tools, techniques, methodologies......

Moderator: Modulators

JUBOO120MG
Noise Person

Field Recording, H1N and ...

Post by JUBOO120MG »

Hello folks. I just got myself a new Zoom H1N :viking: and I am pretty excited to start a field recording project.
I used to do a lot of field recording in the past but back then I only used my phone mic (yup, the sound suck!). Now that I have this stereo mic I can do a hell lot more stuff. Any tips for field recording and things that I need to prepare.

I noticed that H1N is very sensitive to wind. Any tip for it. What kind of filter should I used? foam filter or a furry filter. I am also a bit poor right now to bought one.. Is there any DIY pop filter project that I can used to block the plosive and wind without having to waste more money and waiting for few days for the package to arrive while being on outdoor recording stuff. Just anything that can improve it.

Any tips on setting of the audio recorder (low cut, input setting etc) and how to position these mic to the sound source for better recording.

Any comment and tips on audio recording (especially related to H1N) will be appreciated. Anything related to field recording, if you have it I want to read about it. I am really new at this.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: Field Recording, H1N and ...

Post by crochambeau »

I've been meaning to sew up a "monkey fur" hat for my Zoom field recorder. It's the long hairy shit you can find at craft or fabric stores (not actual monkey fur, which would have terrible acoustic properties).

Something like this: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2014/ ... phone.html
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

crochambeau wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:24 am I've been meaning to sew up a "monkey fur" hat for my Zoom field recorder. It's the long hairy shit you can find at craft or fabric stores (not actual monkey fur, which would have terrible acoustic properties).

Something like this: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2014/ ... phone.html
They are also known as furry mufflers or windscreen muffs etc.

I would suggest getting a shotgun mic as well.. y'know for very focused recording of things not nearby.

Personally most of the field recording I've done lately is with my smart phone because it's what I have on me at all times. I tend to record the sounds of electronics or machinery making interesting rhythmic sounds.

Other things I've been interested in trying at placing the two mics of a stereo recording very far apart and then subtracting one channel from the other.

Be sure to post a link to something you record when you get a chance.
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

Record when it's not windy outside. And if you can't do that, try to place your recording gear where the wind doesn't pick it up as much

Also, don't be afraid to start screaming in the background, just to spice things up a bit
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

I got a Guttmann fur microphone windshield for my LS-P1, it fits snugly and does a fantastic job of cutting out wind and bluster.

Was about xc2xa320 and amazon seems to be a major outlet for them but you can buy them elsewhere.
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Soloman Tump wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:28 am I got a Guttmann fur microphone windshield for my LS-P1, it fits snugly and does a fantastic job of cutting out wind and bluster.

Was about xc2xa320 and amazon seems to be a major outlet for them but you can buy them elsewhere.
Beaker_(Muppet).jpg
Viewed 1390 times
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

NoiseWiki wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:01 am
Soloman Tump wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:28 am I got a Guttmann fur microphone windshield for my LS-P1, it fits snugly and does a fantastic job of cutting out wind and bluster.

haha! Yes, and they do sell orange ones rockon
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

Great, now I can't unsee it!
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

Oh! John Lydon is my favorite Muppet!

I'll have to buy one in orange + some googly eyes for my own H1n, as it's desperately needed for outdoor recording.
Rubby
Noiser

Post by Rubby »

I see I'm too late here, but those wind socks do wonders for zoom recorders.
However, if you are going to process your field recordings, I've found that sometimes the wind adds a nice layer of harsh texture. Totally depends on what you're going for though.