How do you promote yourselves?

Tutorials, tools, techniques, methodologies......

Moderator: Modulators

Fire of the Mind
Noiser

Re: How do you promote yourselves?

Post by Fire of the Mind »

NoiseWiki wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:48 am I think one aspect that hasn't really been addressed here is that possibly documentation is more important in noise than sales.

Now of course if you are in noise to make money.. well good luck. So really the point could be simply to document what you did for posterity and post criticism slash street cred.

For example.. one of my favorite performance artists was Chris Burden and he said something along the lines of documentation is more important than the audience. Considering the extremities of what he was doing at the time sometime shaving an audience was not possible so documenting was paramount.

Of course creating merch and selling or otherwise dispersing it is documentation.
A further aspect to this beyond getting written up and reviewed is having someone with a video recording device (decent cellphone, proper camera, whatever) guaranteed to be there when you perform in front of any sort of audience. Even if it's not a spectacular performance, documentation of such an event can help you learn from your mistakes and grow stronger as a performer; and if you do, in fact, kill it, you have instant promotional material for your next gig. Also, having some sort of audio documentation, particularly soundboard recordings, can be useful for future releases, whether in terms of putting out a particularly good live recording as-is or for raw material down the line.

Of course, part of this mania for documentation stems from regret for not having audio or even many photographic records of some of my old band's best performances, but I'm also a student of TG and see every performance as something perhaps literally magical happening in the moment, crystallising in the air, which deserves to be preserved like a collective memory through recorded sights and sounds.
PortiaPorcupineFan
Noise Person

Post by PortiaPorcupineFan »

I don't.

Oh, hey, listen to this...or don't...I don't care.

comesect nocisum
Noise Noob

Post by comesect nocisum »