How do you live?

Tutorials, tools, techniques, methodologies......

Moderator: Modulators

parasitenurse
Noise Person

Re: How do you live?

Post by parasitenurse »

For live stuff I'll usually record myself jamming a bunch until i get a solid 7-10 minutes of material that i like and i'll meticulously practice that same 7-10 minutes with a timer going for weeks before performing it live. If a part feels like it's dragging i stop and restart and tweak what i'm doing slightly until it doesn't feel like its dragging because if it feels like its dragging to me i can only imagine how it must feel for an outside audience. I wouldn't say i memorize every knob twist and turn but I always have a basic outline of what it is i'm going to do, the speed at which the sounds will be changing, quiet and build up parts, etc. But i tend to be a bit neurotic about it because performing gives me a boatload of anxiety despite generally enjoying it. Props to those who fully improvise.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

I would try to play in front of friends, or jam with someone live before taking your project into a public venue. It can do wonders for blowing out mental cobwebs and doubts.

Ultimately though, live performance in noise is just like any other live performance. Some people are more comfortable with it than others, and at least in my experience there is always a level of tension accompanying a live set. It's simply a matter of riding that energy into your set.

It's also far better to cut a set short than overstay your welcome.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
Rubby
Noiser

Post by Rubby »

"With yourself?"
This is obviously just my personal preference, but I've learned over time that all of my favorite noise is improvised. I would not have much interest in intentionally watching what amounts to a rehearsed noise recital. Obviously everyone has a baseline familiarity with their setup, and maybe even a concept they are operating with or trying to get across. But the few times I've done noise live the actual material (academic shitbag alert!)is always improvised. And again just my own opinion but even if they do hit certain beats or whatever, I feel like an improvised set is always going to be more interesting for better or worse.
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

I currently have a plan for a start, and how a set will end, and I improv the 10 minutes in the middle.
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek: