ODB-3 Sonic Maximizer ( Concept credit to 3/4 dead )

Tutorials, tools, techniques, methodologies......

Moderator: Modulators

Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

ODB-3 Sonic Maximizer ( Concept credit to 3/4 dead )

Post by Indeterminacy »

¾ dead wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:55 am
it would be really, really cool to install 2-4 ODB-3's in a rack as well.
The harsh noise equivalent of running your mix thru a Sonic Maximizer.

Giving serious thought to this idea implementing 4 Instant Awesomizers.
I curious how this could be accomplished in a logical manner and am open to ideas.
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
crochambeau
Merzwow

Re: ODB-3 Sonic Maximizer ( Concept credit to 3/4 dead )

Post by crochambeau »

Post the schematic?

I guess I can dig it up myself..

According to the non-official (confirmed? :dispair: ) schematic I found here: https://forum.bassbuzz.com/t/boss-odb-3 ... -mod/13162

The gain control is a dual gang, but wired as two rheostats.

I bring this up because when we're talking about racks, my mind goes directly to two channel, which is nice in stereo (shared controls).

So, some work around for the gain section may benefit, unless dual mono controls is your jam.

I would also suggest fanning the tone controls out into their own discrete knobs instead of going concentric.

From there the scope of work is as simple as placing two circuits into the large rack case and hooking them up. I would think that going four channel might best be realized with a pair of stereo controls on top of one another with provision to route stereo pair A into stereo pair B circuitry in either a parallel or series manner - actuated either by front panel switch or facilitated by not plugging into those jacks (so A normals into B unless interrupted). Series/parallel can be realized with some relays, solid state switching, or physical multi throw switches (though these can be problematic to source for a variety of reasons).

I think the biggest hurdle is getting the gain section squared away, and that could be done with LDR given it's only a pair of rheostats per channel.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

Stereo dirt sounds fun to play with, but I can't help but feel like that's a lot of work to essentially plug two ODB-3s together. Putting them in a rack just makes for more limited routing options compared to having two pedals - if I wanted two ODB-3s on a rack (admittedly I don't have a rack, so maybe if the rest of your gear is in one it seems better), I'd just get some sort of flat tray that hooked on to the rack and velcro them to that. Then you could have basically every option except running them in series on a stereo signal (unless you grab two more ODB-3s) and you could take them off and use them for other things, too.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

The Mysterious Creep wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:47 amPutting them in a rack just makes for more limited routing options compared to having two pedals
It is true that rack mounting is, essentially, just another packaging format.

However, many designers implement underlying feature-set to a rack build that accommodates the limitations you pointed out. With such signal handling infrastructure in place, it becomes possible to push the boundaries out beyond the fundamental qualities of multiple stomp boxes.

Example: take two stomp builds and plot all of the ways that they can inter-connect. Integrate those signal paths as selectable presets in a rack build. If you design with fast solid state switching in mind, it becomes feasible to "rewire" your set-up between two or more states whenever you push a button or say, send a trigger pulse from a drum machine or MIDI command from a sequencer.

It can of course become less hands on, and often the ultimate capability of a device or set-up is difficult to take in at first glance. But there is something to be said for shifting the rats nest of wires behind the screen.

That said, a lot of rack gear, especially rehouse stuff, is indeed going to amount to say a normalling jack on B channel input that will just route A channel output to B channel input unless a plug is inserted, and that sort of very rudimentary switching. There is also no escape from the patch bay if you want to squeeze the most out of it and integrate with other systems..
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

The used pedal market is a joke right now (fuck you, JHS guy). Has been for a while. But the ODB-3 is still flying under the radar thankfully, and pretty cheap considering inflation and Reverb parasites.

So, I've finally gotten around to ordering a couple. No plan just yet to gut the poor things. But I am really glad to finally be reuinited with this circuit after so many years. I want to stock up on more before putting any at risk in a quad-odb-chimera experiment, but at least the gears have got some lubrication on them now... I've kicked some of the mud and rust off of them at any rate.

A DOD Death Metal (any variant) rack ain't happening (YET!). Even the DigiTech variant prices are getting up there these days, annoyingly enough. But I did pay too much for a couple of OG's outside of Reverb and Western market platforms. Maybe I am sullying the market elsewhere, but at least the prices are more bearable there. Anyway, it opens up opportunities for my old proposal of tearing down the bullshit used market if we can organize a way to systematically sell the same pedal back and forth between multiple platforms at hysterically low, circa 2005 prices. I'd say let's do it with the Grunge too, but I just have the one, and it's got special significance, so I don't want to risk losing it.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

I really like the odb-3, and used to have two. smooth and dirty, kinda like you'd except a grunge to sound.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

I've said it many times before the ODB-3 is the equivalent of riding a unicorn down a
chocolate mountain while drinking from a goblet filled with the laughter of children.
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

Someone post the Cone Shredder picture.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

BPJ wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:16 pm Someone post the Cone Shredder picture.
At your service. That MeatBox was good for something.
cone-shredder-resize.jpg
Viewed 1171 times