Any Linux Users Here?

Tutorials, tools, techniques, methodologies......

Moderator: Modulators

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: Any Linux Users Here?

Post by NoiseWiki »

Soloman Tump wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:37 am My current laptop runs W10 but keeps wanting me to upgrade to W11 (whats the diference apart from the REVOLUTIONARYSTARTBUTTONMOVESTOTHEMIDDLEOFTHETASKBAR?)
Heh.. that's like when I installed widows 8 which seemed more or less the same as 7 but they had made all the apps go fullscreen in a tablet mode by default which was annoying as hell fortunately you could turn off and there was an extension to fix some other mistakes they made
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

amishrobots wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:33 pm
I am trying to install an OS on the desktop. Right now it has no OS, just a blank virgin SSD. I can make it work by plugging in my old LiveUSB of Lubuntu, which has the option for a permanent install, but for some reason that fails. Not sure if it is because the version is so old or what. Can't seem to convince it to create a new LiveUSB either. Not even sure if it recognizes the SSD, not sure what the heck is going on.
I use Ubuntu Studio (xfce) but I doubt that will help you here.

I would start by confirming the machine sees the SSD. I think the OS can run in RAM if there's room, and it does not make sense that you can fire the machine up on a LiveUSB and not make that instance permanent because of outdated version - so if you can wake the machine up with it I'd scrutinize the long term memory.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
amishrobots
Noiser

Post by amishrobots »

crochambeau wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:47 am
amishrobots wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:33 pm
I am trying to install an OS on the desktop. Right now it has no OS, just a blank virgin SSD. I can make it work by plugging in my old LiveUSB of Lubuntu, which has the option for a permanent install, but for some reason that fails. Not sure if it is because the version is so old or what. Can't seem to convince it to create a new LiveUSB either. Not even sure if it recognizes the SSD, not sure what the heck is going on.
I use Ubuntu Studio (xfce) but I doubt that will help you here.

I would start by confirming the machine sees the SSD. I think the OS can run in RAM if there's room, and it does not make sense that you can fire the machine up on a LiveUSB and not make that instance permanent because of outdated version - so if you can wake the machine up with it I'd scrutinize the long term memory.
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. I've pretty much forgotten most of the terminal commands I've ever learned. I need to go look up some really basic shit, like how to spit out a list of storage devices. I should probably at least go do that now.

The last time I tried the permanent install, it seemed to be doing it's thing for quite a while, and then just crashed, I had chosen the option to update during the install, so I thought maybe that may have caused some kind of issue.
amishrobots
Noiser

Post by amishrobots »

ok, wtf is going on here?
amishrobots
Noiser

Post by amishrobots »

Are you fucking serious??? you want me to try doing the exact thing I just did, in order to try and fix the error that doing that did???
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Stack exchange can be helpful for some oddities, if you're running stable hardware. Here is a tale of my most recent computer adventure:

I'm running rather old hardware (ancient, by modern standards), originally designed as a work station. In order to operate well, it requires a very specific type of RAM and specific graphics processor - which was unknown to me while originally chasing issues, which ranged across a spectrum of nonsense. Over the years, "upgrades" had been installed (more RAM, a "better" GPU, etc.), each required a little configuration. Then came time to just nuke & pave, my performance had been dogshit so a clean install should set things right, right? Wrong. All of the massaging that had been executed to make things work previously completely went away - like black screen after BIOS away. Completely fucking bricked unless I adjusted the boot instructions in a very detrimental manner.

Every time I approached the internet for help the advice or suggestions I got were not helpful, because my hardware was the issue - not the firmware or software. Finally I pulled product data on my machine and learned it required specific RAM and was originally offered with a specific range of GPUs, only one of which being by a manufacturer that was not NVIDIA (the drivers for which I had been banging my head against a wall for long enough to just seek out the other).

Installed the specific RAM and the OE GPU, undid all of my manual terminal boot fuckery, and suddenly I had a solid machine.

Of course, if your hardware was aimed at the home computer market, or built within the last ten years, it may not be so fucking crotchety - but if you're surfing on industry outcast or repurposed e-waste it can be very worthwhile to dig into the lineage a bit.

amishrobots
Noiser

Post by amishrobots »

crochambeau wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:08 am
Of course, if your hardware was aimed at the home computer market, or built within the last ten years, it may not be so fucking crotchety - but if you're surfing on industry outcast or repurposed e-waste it can be very worthwhile to dig into the lineage a bit.
did you read what I listed for hardware?
Just to be clear; it is all fairly new stuff; very current; although it did take me about 2 years to accumulate, and I did skimp out on the vid card, I'm rather proud of what I put together; at least it should be a solid system.

as far as I can tell, the two big problems I've been having is that the RPI with which I've been trying to create a bootable USB stick was simply out of drive space, and the bootable live USB version of Lubuntu which I have running on the new machine is hopelessly out of date version of that OS.

Last night I cleared a little bit of space on the RPI, (which was running off a measly 16gb SD card) enough that I could actually use it to create a new raspbian OS on a 128gb SD card, which I am currently using.

Hopefully I can use the new Raspbian to make a new live USB stick to install a whole new OS on the new main computer. wish me luck!

I'm really hoping to run AntiX on the new puter, because I just like the idea of an "antifascist Operating system" , though I may fall back to the newest version of Lubuntu, which I have always liked in the past. At least AntiX looks similar in it's simplicity.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

All computers are bastards
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

amishrobots wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:17 am
AMD Ryzen 5 3600,
Asus X570-plus (wifi)
32gb Corsair RAM
1tb Corsair SSD
My tale was more geared toward a general make sure everything is designed to work together. I don't know anything about your hardware.

With respect to my hardware, which is what I know about here I can say the following: My RAM is DDR2-800 DIMM, what I did not know until I dug deeper is that my machine is spec'd for UNBUFFERED DDR-2-800 DIMM in either x8 or x16 width, so everything I thought was compatible beforehand was actually working against me. Similar special needs on my GPU.

My point is/was that if you have a similar gotcha sort that first. Sounds like you don't? I cannot say, I'm not doing the research on it.

Should be able to run a disk check without OS installed: https://www.simplified.guide/linux/disk-error-check

amishrobots
Noiser

Post by amishrobots »

crochambeau wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:08 pm
amishrobots wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:17 am
AMD Ryzen 5 3600,
Asus X570-plus (wifi)
32gb Corsair RAM
1tb Corsair SSD
My tale was more geared toward a general make sure everything is designed to work together. I don't know anything about your hardware.

With respect to my hardware, which is what I know about here I can say the following: My RAM is DDR2-800 DIMM, what I did not know until I dug deeper is that my machine is spec'd for UNBUFFERED DDR-2-800 DIMM in either x8 or x16 width, so everything I thought was compatible beforehand was actually working against me. Similar special needs on my GPU.

My point is/was that if you have a similar gotcha sort that first. Sounds like you don't? I cannot say, I'm not doing the research on it.

Should be able to run a disk check without OS installed: https://www.simplified.guide/linux/disk-error-check

I'll try to keep this in mind for when it's useful; right now I am cooking eggs.