Any Linux Users Here?

Tutorials, tools, techniques, methodologies......

Moderator: Modulators

amishrobots
Noiser

Any Linux Users Here?

Post by amishrobots »

I have (dumb) questions.

I'm currently using a Raspberry Pi (4gb of ram) but I have a whole shiny new puter built in the other room:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600,
Asus X570-plus (wifi)
32gb Corsair RAM
1tb Corsair SSD
PSU: Corsair RM650
some cheap ass video card
Pretty (cheap) Pink Case with green LED fans in it

And.. My stupid ass can't figure out how to just install an OS on this thing.

I was hoping to try AntiX, but I can't seem to even find the program on Raspbian for making a live USB; I've searched in add/remove software for unetbootin, and one or two others, and the raspberry acts like it has no idea what I'm talking about. I'm currently just running the new puter off an OLD version of a Lubuntu liveUSB, and can't seem to make that understand to create another live USB. I even tried just doing the permanent install of lubuntu, and that fucked up too for some reason. I have no idea wtf I am doing, and could use a bit of help
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: Any Linux Users Here?

Post by NoiseWiki »

I use Ubuntu for work so don't have much experience doing installs but hers some info

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install-ub ... 1-overview
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

Is it the Pi or the desktop you're looking to install on?
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

BPJ wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:54 am Is it the Pi or the desktop you're looking to install on?
Sounds like he wants to install on the PC or maybe both?
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

I've used ubuntu and it's pretty good tbh. first few installs I got lost trying to install dependencies in a roundabout way: just follow standard procedure in everything!

dunno what RP is really.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

drift wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:20 am dunno what RP is really.
It's a micro computer.. basically a tiny CPU with memory, graphics and ports on a tiny board but it can run a full OS like Unbuntu
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

Think of the Pi as like a modern Amiga. The ARM architecture is based on RISC, which was invented by Acorn, the guys who made this thing.
Attachments
acorn_electron-1.jpg
amishrobots
Noiser

Post by amishrobots »

BPJ wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:54 am Is it the Pi or the desktop you're looking to install on?
I am trying to install an OS on the desktop. Right now it has no OS, just a blank virgin SSD. I can make it work by plugging in my old LiveUSB of Lubuntu, which has the option for a permanent install, but for some reason that fails. Not sure if it is because the version is so old or what. Can't seem to convince it to create a new LiveUSB either. Not even sure if it recognizes the SSD, not sure what the heck is going on.

As for the RPi, which is currently the only other puter I own; I am not trying to change it, the Rpi is working fine. Well, other than it is not coing what I currently want it to do, which is to create a new liveUSB for the desktop puter. I'm told by folks on FB RPi group that there are several progs available to do this: Balena Etcher, Rufus, etc. But I've searched for those progs in the "add/remove software", and they do not apparently exist there! Not sure if there is a problem with my repositories, (plenty of other software which I do NOT need shows up) or wtf I am doing wrong. Basically I don't know wtf I am doing. Going to go see about updating my repositories, though I doubt that will help anything
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

I used Ubuntu for a while on my last laptop, worked very well actually. Only found myself annoyed on a few occasions.

My current laptop runs W10 but keeps wanting me to upgrade to W11 (whats the diference apart from the REVOLUTIONARYSTARTBUTTONMOVESTOTHEMIDDLEOFTHETASKBAR?)

I shall put Ubuntu on this machine at some point. Its a good entry point into the linux world
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

It would be difficult to say what the problem is from here, being honest. This video is pretty much exactly what I did, from what I can remember.