Joining multiple toggles to switch simultaneously?

Tutorials, tools, techniques, methodologies......

Moderator: Modulators

FAP
Merzwow

Joining multiple toggles to switch simultaneously?

Post by FAP »

Alright gents, I've gotten myself into a situation where I want to make two separate toggle switches turn on/off at the same time.
To clarify: I have two 4PDT switches that I essentially want to combine into an 8PDT. Now 8PDT switches do exist, but they won't work for my project. Plus I'm trying to save a little money by using what I have: if I need to get cromagno- I mean creative, then so be it.
I was thinking of doing something where there'd be a bar attached across the switches, forcing both to actuate at the same time: see the image below.
Can this be done? If so, how? The switches are too tiny to weld something on (not that I'd know how to weld anyways) and I'm afraid if I try to solder something on, the actuator will get so hot that it'll melt the insides, ruining the switches.
I vaguely recall there being something like this already available--a "bar" you can just slap on between two of the same kind of switch--unless the Mandela effect is at play i.e. I'm mis-remembering it/assuming it exists.
toggle-pair.jpeg
Viewed 807 times
¾ dead
Merzwow

Re: Joining multiple toggles to switch simultaneously?

Post by ¾ dead »

You can definitely buy prebuilt switches with conjoined poles, but IDK about any off-the-shelf options to conjoin single poles together (suddenly reminded of Little Lulu's chalk contraption here), though it's certainly possible to rig two toggles to work that way. Sounds like a fun hack-engimeering project.

Maybe a section from a eurorack rail could work as a "key"?
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Well, damn, looks like I don’t need that 8PDT anymore… that’s the long story short version.
Let’s leave this topic open regardless: I can’t imagine I’d be the only one who’s ever run into this sort quandary.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

A drill and a chunk of aluminium or delrin can result in all sorts of fixes tailored to your needs.

Honestly though, once my designing got to the point at which I wanted switches interacting with each other I went with logic switching to control the throws. That way you can boil your mechanical interface down to a SPDT and "program" (by selecting logic). Then you just add however many throws you need (be it solid state or relay), and with combinational logic you can have switch A affect a throw based on how switch B is set, etc.

Furthermore, once you've got logic in place, you can support the concept of having a "control voltage" handle the switching for you (more the gate or trigger side of CV, though one could implement a comparator for linear analog lines if need be).

4066 is four SPST switches
4053 is three SPDT switches

etc.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

Example:

I have an effect in which I want to swap the order of two stages. This is accomplished easily with a single 4053.

However, I also wanted to implement a feedback path which returns to one of the stages being shifted in position. Because of the difference in placement of the stages with respect to the feedback path source, the feedback would be additive in one configuration, and subtractive in the other.

Since I prefer to have my feedback additive while the bat is UP and subtractive (or in this disengaged) while the bat is DOWN (for the sake of user experience), I had to slap some combinational logic in place to control the second switching IC doing feedback duties based on the position of BOTH the order switching and feedback mode switch.

I use simple SPDT mechanical switches with the center common node connected to ground, and each switched side connected to a separate logic line with a 10K pull up resistor. This results in a 10 or 01 two bit instruction, depending on the bat position of the switch. 11 is also possible with a center OFF switch.
Mudlark-switchingMU.jpg
Viewed 798 times
The position switch is simply all three stages of the 4053 switched in tandem, tying all control pins to a single logic line accomplishes this. The variable switch function employs two NOR gates. These each output a HIGH state when both, and only both of their inputs are low. The diodes beyond are there to prevent whichever gate is LOW from sinking the HIGH state of the other.

Long story short, the two switches form an XNOR logic table, in which the high state of the feedback path switch only occurs when both switch bats are in the same position, otherwise that mode is false - even if the user actuated switch is in the UP or active position.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/