Moderator: Modulators

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: Dreamhost took a shit

Post by NoiseWiki »

drift wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:38 am
NoiseWiki wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:43 pm
Pigswill wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:42 pm

I was going to say, those uptime claims must be ancient by now, hah. Though I haven't known any hosting services, shared or dedicated or whatever, that hasn't surprised their customers in some way or another
They ain't the cheapest these days either .. I've been on their 5 year plan for maybe almost 15 years .. they don't offer the 5 year anymore but I wonder if it'll automaticslly renew this next time? Guess we'll find out
idt you should nuke noisewiki man. I'd be lost.
Having to switch to a shorter term is not the same as nuking it.. besides I'd think you be happy to see it gone that way no one will no your shame

Anyway . These kind of issues are what contribute to the rise of Facebook.. operating and maintaining sites like this ain't easy peasy lemon squeezy or sum such shit
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

that way no one will no your shame
there is that.

but then I can't see my life getting better enough for it to matter.

:deadbanana: :dispair:
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

* actually chokes to death. haha.

man, I hate my life. noisewiki is the only thing in it :rofl:
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

drift wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:55 am * actually chokes to death. haha.

man, I hate my life. noisewiki is the only thing in it :rofl:
the irony :alright:
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

NoiseWiki wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:55 am

Heh.. well Dreamhost used to boast of very high "uptime" and I've been getting my monies worth out of their shared hosting for almost two decades? :flamingbanana:
I was going to say, those uptime claims must be ancient by now, hah. Though I haven't known any hosting services, shared or dedicated or whatever, that hasn't surprised their customers in some way or another
They ain't the cheapest these days either .. I've been on their 5 year plan for maybe almost 15 years .. they don't offer the 5 year anymore but I wonder if it'll automaticslly renew this next time? Guess we'll find out
I've been rolling with Cooini (formerly u2-web) for the last decade. I haven't noticed any price increase in that time

That said, for dedicated hosting, Vultr is pretty cheap. I have an instance with 10 GB SSD storage with half a gig of RAM for only $3.50 a month. It's pretty nice
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Pigswill wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:33 pm

I've been rolling with Cooini (formerly u2-web) for the last decade. I haven't noticed any price increase in that time

That said, for dedicated hosting, Vultr is pretty cheap. I have an instance with 10 GB SSD storage with half a gig of RAM for only $3.50 a month. It's pretty nice
I checked those out.. thing is when I price those for the resources that I'm using at dreamhost it comes out to alot more than dreamhost is charging. In particular DH doesn't meter bandwidth or disk space which we use alot of because of all the images etc. Anytime I've looked into dedicated hosting or any way to boost the dB performance the cost goes through the roof.

Most of my bitching is because dh won't let me ignore php updates.. its a good thing but it also sucks because updating phpbb is a pita and that's not dh's fault although a long time ago they did actually have a wizard for it but I assume they gave up because it was a pain and few people were using it.

Then if you run a forum like this on a site where they handle the backend administration you have to follow their content rules and the site could get upended at anytime
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

I hope they don't force some of the future updates. PHP 8 is going to come with a lot of breaking changes
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Pigswill wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:23 pm I hope they don't force some of the future updates. PHP 8 is going to come with a lot of breaking changes
I've got a little more time before switching to php8 but another site I manage is still on 7.3 and they are dropping support for it sooner than later
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

I actually have a blog, which I won't link to in case google is watching (which ofc it is). it seems far too expensive to keep running at 30 pounds a year, as it's just a Wordpress thing.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

my blog is hilarious though. I've had it a year or so, and it's kinda a showcase for how avant garden and irrelevant I am :rofl: quite unlike here, perhaps?