cover.jpg
Viewed 1298 times
Zip Archive Wav and Mp3 82mb

DESK HORSE

THE DEATH METAL WING OF THE AMERICAN LEGION HALL

Published 5/5/21 during Covid-19 Pandemic

NoiseWiki Page
Discogs

"The Death Metal Wing of the American Legion Hall" originally recorded as a video presentation for NorCal Noise Fest 2020.

"Desk Horse" originally recorded as a video presentation for Jeff Carey's Executive Summary series episode 04 on 1/25/2021.

Thanks to Adrian Obfuscated for the invitation.

Thanks to all that have kept me sane during this year of isolation and quarantine. Special thanks to Hal McGee, Chris Phinney, Daisy Annaliese Kingsford, Dylan Houser, and Zach Short.

foreverescapingboredom.com
FAP
Merzwow

Re: NW005 - DESK HORSE - VASECTOMY PARTY

Post by FAP »

Two brief blasts of serviceable mono noise, with heavy use of micro-looping accomplished by what sounds like a digital delay effect. Now I don’t dislike digital delay or looping in principle: I use it all the time, and it’s because I use it all the time that I’m able to see how the metaphorical sausage is made when it comes to releases like Desk Horse. In other words, the sonic signature of the Boss DD-3's "HOLD" function has become so recognizable to me that I find, when it’s used (or heaven forbid overused), it makes the piece I’m listening to less interesting. Now I do want to clarify that I have no idea what VP's setup here is, but even if he doesn't use a DD-3, there's plenty of other devices that can yield a similar effect: what matters is the implementation of the effect, not the specific pedal or sampler or whatever it comes from. There’s still some cool parts peppered throughout, however I feel like Desk Horse was a weak effort overall: the audio content is dynamically shallow, uninspired, and forgettable. VP has done better.