Foraging

What you eating?

Moderator: Modulators

Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Foraging

Post by Soloman Tump »

Anyone into foraging? Post your finds.

I got chatting to some guys in the local wildlife group and went out into the woods with them foraging a few times. Discovered loads of plants and berries that I never knew could be eaten that all grow around my town.

Went out last week on a mushroom hunt and it was AWESOME. Was guided to picking 5 varieties of fungi that I cooked in butter and ate when I got home. I think its gonna get addictive. Just bought a book off ebay.
porc1.jpg
Viewed 653 times
Oudemansiella mucida that grows on rotting beech trees - covered in slimy natural gluten. Clean them off and cook them. Lovely and tasty.

hed.jpg
Viewed 653 times
On the left a Hydnum repandum - hedgehog mushroom. Very tasty sliced and fried. On the ridge, quarter of a huge Macrolepiota procera - parasol mushroom that we shared out - we were told that 4% of people suffer indigestion from eating these so proceed with caution. I was ok. Also only harvest when mature and 'open' as could be mixed up with deadly Death Caps when young.

amt.jpg
Viewed 653 times
Laccaria amethystina (amethyst deceivers) and Craterellus tubaeformis (Winter Chanterelles) - all really tasty and colouful little mushrooms. With the amethyst you have to check the colour and attachment of the gills underneath as there are poisonous varieties.
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Re: Foraging

Post by RUBBISH »

Look for purslane.
Its from India but grows all over here in Missouri.
There are curry recipes for it.
place holder