moon musiq netlabel

Moderator: Modulators

banned
Merzfinity

Re: moon musiq netlabel

Post by banned »

strange comp! resonan's was my favourite track.
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

Awesome, in amongst the melee of life I had pretty much forgotten about this compilation. So a much welcome surprise to see it appear! Thanks for the codes, I took qrqe-5cdf but a donation will be heading their way soon
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
Antirealist
Noise Person

Post by Antirealist »

!thank you,great comp, it turned out well in terms of sound and musickal quality. some colleagues just couldn't leave the harshness in favor of smaller sounds, nevertheless everyone's work is enjoyable. i listened to it on repeat like 8 or 9 times :mrgreen:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://soundcloud.com/antirealists/tracks
https://www.noisewiki.com/wiki/index.ph ... ntireality
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

I think I would've preferred it if it was really long. in its current form, I liked the tracks but the album didn't come together for me.

hope I don't sound hyper critical.
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

Thank you all who listened! This has been a fun project
drift wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:24 am I think I would've preferred it if it was really long. in its current form, I liked the tracks but the album didn't come together for me.

hope I don't sound hyper critical.
We might have to explore something like this in the future. I appreciate the honest feedback. There's not much point in trying experimental concepts if one can't see where the experiment succeeds and fails

---

I'm hitting a problem with how we're orchestrating things on Bandcamp right now. This might lead to a new approach for the label if we can't get it resolved.

We got this email from the platform recently:
Greetings moon musiq,

Marketplaces like Bandcamp are required by US tax law to issue tax forms to artists and labels who earn over $600 USD in sales in 2022. In order to provide you with the appropriate forms, Bandcamp will need to collect certain tax information from you. This information will need to be collected from you even if you are based outside the United States.

Since your account has crossed the $600 sales threshold or likely will by the end of the year, please complete this form (link removed --Pigswill) hosted by our third-party tax service, Tax Identity. It is a short process (usually 10 minutes or less) that must be completed by the legal owner of the account.

Providing this information is necessary to continue receiving payouts from Bandcamp. We may be required to limit payouts for accounts that have not provided valid tax information by August 18, 2022.

For more information, refer to our handy tax guide. If you have questions about your specific tax situation, please contact a tax professional.
The issue is that moon musiq doesn't touch any of the funds. We have things set up by following Bandcamp's own instructions for how to handle charity releases:
The best way to set up a charity release is to create a new Artist account, and list the charity's PayPal address on the Bandcamp Profile page so that the charity can receive direct payments. We recommend checking with the charity first to ensure that they will be able to receive payments this way.
We did this with GEMS when we started moon musiq last summer

I could use GEMS' publicly-available documents to fill out the tax information, but I don't think I technically have the authorization to do this. The forms require a signature of someone directly associated with the charity, which I am not. Further, the documents require contact information related to the Bandcamp account which the charity doesn't have access to. So I can't fill this out myself, and I can't simply pass this onto the charity for them to handle.

What's worse is that nobody is responsive in this. Bandcamp is notoriously hands-off. You can drop them a message but can only hope for some kind of response. The charity GEMS has not been responding to emails and doesn't answer the phone (which, given their popularity, is reasonably understandable, I suppose). There is a contact address on the tax form itself for the third party who's handling the documents for Bandcamp, and they have an estimated response time of five days according to their automated messaging system (it's been about four so far since I dropped them a message)

In short, we might not be able to pass payments directly to GEMS in the near future. I'm not sure if a payment freeze would stay in effect if we decided to help other charities (we have been considering Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women USA before all of this went down since they also fight against human trafficking).

It would be nice to stay on Bandcamp for this since it makes it easy to raise funds and because it's easy to track the impact that moon musiq supporters are making. But if we can't get it working out, we'll probably just drop pay-what-you-want on Bandcamp altogether

That said, none of this difficulty is going to have any impact on our output. We are still going to be making themed compilations and things for some time
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

I am listening to this again, which I suppose makes the album a success on some terms (not to sound big headed: you might want the bugs to stay around). so I am reassessing my criticism. I think the shortness of the album is just FRUSTRATING. was that the desired response? maybe noise (hear me out haha) is essentially just about things working as you wanted, rather than expected.
comparison of Boulez’s highly controlled chance (aléa) to Cage’s chance and indeterminacy.
[quot="On Cage"]in chance music, composition decisions are made, but according to a method that reflects chance (toss coin, roll dice). One has a specific score when the piece is done. Indeterminate (also “aleatoic”) music leaves decisions up to performer (via inexact notation, random order of parts or whatever). (New Harvard Dictionary uses “chance,” “aleatory,” and “indeterminacy” interchangeably: no wide agreement on use of these terms)[/quote]

a good compilation, because its composition was by chance? like meeting someone again by coincidence vs a well thought out plan.

just thinking out loud about the comp :) haha