moon musiq netlabel

Moderator: Modulators

Pigswill
Noise Artist

Re: moon musiq netlabel

Post by Pigswill »

Big announcement today: we somehow managed to cross the threshold of $1000 raised on Bandcamp! 100% of the funds go directly to Girls Educational & Mentoring Services (GEMS) which, according to their Donation page, is enough to cover school enrollment for 10 GEMS members. I'm simply amazed.

Also, we put the latest album, Exotic Functions, on YouTube for anyone who is interested in listening that way:
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

That's amazing, well done
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
Paperback
Noiser

Post by Paperback »

I’ve been listening to some tracks at moon musiq.
Some very good material . Good work.
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

Thank you both! I hope we can keep it up :dancer:
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

I knew I wanted to relisten to that. well done in the fund raising :bounce: ! guy on the second track, distant dreams (part 2) could even be an established industrial frontman - maybe I'm thinking of Konietzko - using a slightly too British accent. saying that's really changed the feel of the album for me hahah
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

drift wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:20 am I knew I wanted to relisten to that. well done in the fund raising :bounce: ! guy on the second track, distant dreams (part 2) could even be an established industrial frontman - maybe I'm thinking of Konietzko - using a slightly too British accent. saying that's really changed the feel of the album for me hahah
That's actually ant-zen alumni Michael Idehall, so I'd say he's already established jammin

Also, thank you very much for the support!
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

We just got an excellent write-up for the netlabel, plus for all of our releases so far on Discipline Mag! :bounce:

Check it out:
https://disciplinemag.com/moon-musiq-of ... downloads/
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Here's another little write-up, from me to you:

Various Artists - Exotic Functions: A Very Friendly Tribute to Throbbing Gristle (2022):

It’s rare that I listen to ‘new’ noise nowadays (i.e. stuff made by new artists in the current year that aren’t reissues). Rarer still, various artist compilations that also happen to be tribute albums; I think we all know how much of a crap shoot those can be.

I’m happy to report, though, that Exotic Functions is in fact an exceptionally well put-together collection. Aside from one or two instances, each track seamlessly blends into the next; I wish more labels would have the balls to do this (i.e. to take advantage of gapless playback, instead of blandly presenting a series of tracks in an ordered list) and I applaud Moonmusiq’s decision to do so: it elevates Exotic Functions' presentation just that much above many other contemporary noise compilations.

Speaking of noise, while the tracks here aren’t strictly ‘industrial’ in style, the artists who made them impressively manage to capture the essence of what made TG’s sound so unique… for the most part. I am prepared to talk about the less positive aspects of the compilation, of which there are thankfully only a few.

I was really bummed to see no one covered “Slug Bait,” my personal favorite TG track; any rendition of “Zyklon B Zombie” was surprisingly absent as well. As for the TG tracks that did show up on the compilation, I admit I skipped a few of them:

Firstly, I thought GasmaskAvenger & Heavy Thrashhead’s interpretation of “Hamburger Lady” really missed the point of the original: this cover version isn’t unsettling in the slightest and gets very repetitive after two minutes, let alone eight.

Secondly, I have no idea what the thought process behind Eyerolls’ “The Girl from Very Friendly” was, but it’s so goofy and slipshod that, for me, it firmly crossed the line from being bold to being annoying.

Finally, the ending rendition of “Very Friendly” by kiss of revolution was a flat-out waste of time: to have such an underrated, dare I say iconic TG track transformed into this indiscernible mush is bad enough, but to then have it close out the entire compilation left a bad taste in my mouth.

All that aside, I want to emphasize this is still a really nice compilation; one that donates its proceeds to charity, I might add, so I feel a little sheepish for ragging on it in principle. The bottom line is, it’s well worth the time.
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

FAP wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:05 pm Here's another little write-up, from me to you:

Various Artists - Exotic Functions: A Very Friendly Tribute to Throbbing Gristle (2022):

It’s rare that I listen to ‘new’ noise nowadays (i.e. stuff made by new artists in the current year that aren’t reissues). Rarer still, various artist compilations that also happen to be tribute albums; I think we all know how much of a crap shoot those can be.

I’m happy to report, though, that Exotic Functions is in fact an exceptionally well put-together collection. Aside from one or two instances, each track seamlessly blends into the next; I wish more labels would have the balls to do this (i.e. to take advantage of gapless playback, instead of blandly presenting a series of tracks in an ordered list) and I applaud Moonmusiq’s decision to do so: it elevates Exotic Functions' presentation just that much above many other contemporary noise compilations.

Speaking of noise, while the tracks here aren’t strictly ‘industrial’ in style, the artists who made them impressively manage to capture the essence of what made TG’s sound so unique… for the most part. I am prepared to talk about the less positive aspects of the compilation, of which there are thankfully only a few.

I was really bummed to see no one covered “Slug Bait,” my personal favorite TG track; any rendition of “Zyklon B Zombie” was surprisingly absent as well. As for the TG tracks that did show up on the compilation, I admit I skipped a few of them:

Firstly, I thought GasmaskAvenger & Heavy Thrashhead’s interpretation of “Hamburger Lady” really missed the point of the original: this cover version isn’t unsettling in the slightest and gets very repetitive after two minutes, let alone eight.

Secondly, I have no idea what the thought process behind Eyerolls’ “The Girl from Very Friendly” was, but it’s so goofy and slipshod that, for me, it firmly crossed the line from being bold to being annoying.

Finally, the ending rendition of “Very Friendly” by kiss of revolution was a flat-out waste of time: to have such an underrated, dare I say iconic TG track transformed into this indiscernible mush is bad enough, but to then have it close out the entire compilation left a bad taste in my mouth.

All that aside, I want to emphasize this is still a really nice compilation; one that donates its proceeds to charity, I might add, so I feel a little sheepish for ragging on it in principle. The bottom line is, it’s well worth the time.
Thanks for the write-up. I appreciate you taking the time to listen and to give such detailed feedback! (Even things like the gapless playback. I am completely in favor of a release being a cohesive experience and can't stand comps that just dump hours of tracks together without a second thought about how they exist together. But I digress)

Zyklon B Zombie strangely never was claimed by anyone while we were putting this together. But we had a few artists drop out at the end which would have contributed Slug Bait, Blood on the Floor, Guts on the Floor, Catholic Sex, Convincing People, and one or two others (I was also considering trying His Arm was Her Leg if I had some more time myself).
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

Hey again,

Today we have released Small Sounds for Small Bugs, a compilation of 30-second tracks from 30 different artists, all inspired by insects. It's quite a unique 15 minute album, featuring tracks from our resident users Soloman Tump, Antirealist, ¾ dead, and obscura materia (thank you all for your excellent contributions!)

As always, this is pay-what-you-want with 100% of proceeds going directly to Girls Educational & Mentoring Services (GEMS), the USA's leading organization for empowering commercially sexually exploited and domestically trafficked girls and young women. While we encourage supporting this cause, we understand that not everyone is interested or able to do so. You can still get the album for free using one of the codes below. Even listening and sharing can go a long way towards helping GEMS reach their goals:

Redeem these at https://moonmusiq.bandcamp.com/yum:

Code: Select all

scb9-be5b
77x4-w5m3
vlcj-wr8s
7epr-cs7l
l7fd-wdpj
4mdc-hdby
qrqe-5cdf
gxrf-bcwa
3cml-wxdb
5prj-h5ww