List of most popular noise artists/noise history

Moderator: Modulators

banned
Merzfinity

Re: List of most popular noise artists/noise history

Post by banned »

given that i have made about 30,000 posts about noise, the idea i don't know ANYTHING about it... is kinda brilliant really.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

wtf are you talking about, total projection... you've never even been in a truck have you :rofl: :rofl:
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Some reference
This site has millions of free books so be sure to browse.

Assimilate : a critical history of industrial music
https://b-ok.cc/book/3319130/530983

Industrial culture handbook
https://b-ok.cc/book/3429498/1b62ef

The Cambridge Companion to Electronic Music
https://b-ok.cc/book/3344867/411b9b?dsource=recommend
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Social_Drift wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:16 am given that i have made about 30,000 posts about noise, the idea i don't know ANYTHING about it... is kinda brilliant really.
It's a good thing pretty much all of that is no longer online. hump
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Rubby wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:11 am Reading this thread totally made me realize that Prurient has supplanted Merzbow as the Face Of Noise to people who don't know anything about noise....like, the first act anyone goes to when looking for an example of noise. Not criticizing, just interesting because as long as I could remember, Merzbow was the poster boy.
Yeah I think I'd agree with that. I saw a thread awhile back on fb that was some people arguing about how wasn't getting enough credit or something and then there was a list of the most significant noisers.. Prurient and Merzbow were on the top but I don't remember what order.
peek

Anyway.. that's the way it goes but I find it implausible that Merzbow would be forgotten and even though he has evolved over his decades long career I don't have the feeling it was every to use it as a stepping stone to say an acting career like some people y'know?. elephant
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Performance wise merzbow has near all of us including prurient beat all to hell.

Kingdom of noise...

Oh crank surgeon is definitely towards the top of the list
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:47 am Performance wise merzbow has near all of us including prurient beat all to hell.

Kingdom of noise...

Oh crank surgeon is definitely towards the top of the list
As far as stage presence goes I'd describe Dom as trying too hard

Granted this was at a Cold Cave gig but he did something similar enough when I saw him play the same lineup as Merzbow.

RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

NoiseWiki wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:54 am
As far as stage presence goes I'd describe Dom as trying too hard

Granted this was at a Cold Cave gig but he did something similar enough when I saw him play the same lineup as Merzbow.

>>Holy fucking shit wow that dancing<<

Uhhmmmm I don't know what to say.

I really hope that dancing is drug Influenced.
Or
If I was getting paid $xXxXx to play lame dance music I'd jump around like a monkey with its ass on fire too.
Or
Is something wrong with him I hope hes ok.
Or
Well that sucked.
Or
What a fucking cunt.
Or
Dancing with stars goes noise!

I dunno but that's silly as shit and while he wasn't even in the running for top 10 or top 50 he is still on the list...I think.
place holder
Fire of the Mind
Noiser

Post by Fire of the Mind »

Responding to the first page or two mainly because I think there were some interesting ideas there: I feel that, as an example, Noisextra's recent interviews with Dominick Fernow, G.X. Jupitter-Larsen, Richard Ramirez and Sean Matzus, Joe Colley, Jonathan Canady and so forth have been invaluable in at the very least establishing timelines and connections between specific scenes and ideas as well as the origins of specific projects, trends and concepts. That and more and more people digging up old 'zines published in the midst of certain events and very early or rare releases by seminal artists seeing far greater access through the Internet has changed a lot about how we collectively understand the history of noise, whether it's the mail art and very early tape trading scene which informed what Gen and G.X. and M.B. were doing, or later events like Hospital coming together in what sounds like the most hilariously ramshackle way possible. Hell, there's a book on Schimpfluch coming out; give it enough time and we'll probably have someone writing the noise equivalent to Simon Reynolds' Rip It Up and Start Again, but in multiple volumes. That said, it's still an extremely niche thing, and honestly should be? Ordinary, entirely well-adjusted people with an entirely comfortable relationship with the world as it is do not get deep into The Haters or buy the reissue of Ramleh's Awake! at retail prices, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Not that the insularity cannot, at times, breed a certain toxicity, not to mention a lot of infighting both understandable and absurd (and often both), but being able to address that from within a shared context and understanding feels important rather than some outsider looking in and bitching about it like they get it when they don't.

As to the actual topic, I dunno, I don't really believe in bests, just in favourites and in understanding historical context and import. For instance, I don't especially enjoy what I've heard of The New Blockaders but I'm not going to pretend they're unimportant, including to stuff that I do actually enjoy, and I do at least get what's conceptually interesting there.
zowozon
Noiser

Re: lists

Post by zowozon »

[media][/media]
Social_Drift wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:11 pm 1-100 hn merzbow
1-100 pee whitehouse
1-100 noise GX
1-100 hnw -vomir
1-100 di atrax morgue

imo
Who is GX?