List of most popular noise artists/noise history

Moderator: Modulators

¾ dead
Merzwow

Re: lists

Post by ¾ dead »

RUBBISH wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:23 am That's a way cynical and unfortunate take on history...you realize most of human history is not well documented!
This is a good point.

And let's also consider how much of what is "well-documented" focuses only on the most sensational aspects and nothing else (especially where media, humor, popular culture, etc. are concerned), such that things are reduced to utterly trite fast-fact nuggets to be regurgitated ad nauseam by boring assholes roping people into boring conversations and rendering subjects faceless parodies which fail to hold practically anyone's interest anymore in the process. Things are "well-documented" to the point of irrelevance. People are stuffed sick with "well-documented" sensationalism and mythologizing. How well-documented can something be when people only want to focus on entertaining pop-corn facts? Most people don't actually care about the mundane things in between.

As diverse and deep a resource as MA is, it's not like 90% of the shit on there isn't submitted by bands themselves, or some guy's nephew. Most of it it still goes unnoticed. Most of it ought to. Also, as an umbrella term, "metal" covers a massive array of styles with a much larger collective fanbase. Plus, it's only natural that a bunch of metal dorks would waste the time to catalog so much of it. Now, where's the "Punk Archives"? That's been discussed at length, years ago, on MA itself. Metal is a genre for dorks, ultimately (not a criticism, but a fact). You just don't get the same degree of obsessive dork-passion with other musical genres, otherwise, they would've gotten around to setting one up already.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: List of most popular noise artists/noise history

Post by NoiseWiki »

Was just looking at the old harshnoise blog.. check it out.. a bit of a timecapsule

http://harshnoise.blogspot.com/2005/10/ ... art-2.html
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

music / noise can come off as entertainment only, without a well documented history
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Social_Drift wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:04 pm music / noise can come off as entertainment only, without a well documented history
And what does entertainment become if its history is well documented?
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

well, history has internal contradictions...
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

NoiseWiki wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:37 pm
Social_Drift wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:04 pm music / noise can come off as entertainment only, without a well documented history
And what does entertainment become if its history is well documented?
What's (not) entertainment is the same type of question as 'what is noise' except even more contentious and open ended.
Most any thing can be entertaining.
Fishing and collecting shoes are both entertainment. Posting on this forum and picking scabs are both types of entertainment.

Or did Louk mean hobbies or fetish?
Those wouldn't apply either.

Most people are not aware of the history of thier favorite forms of cultural expression but that doesn't lessen its importance or impact.
You do not need to know how a piezo crystal is formed or who innovated thier commercial use to be entertained or enlightened by some person with a contact Mic glued to an altoids can scrapping it on top of a fold up table for that performance to be more than just entertainment. documentation can help spread or validate after the fact the original message presented by the artist during their performance but isn't required ...its highly suggested that you document your Art but the documentation is not required for it to be more than entertainment.

Documentation becomes an other type of Art and entertainment in its own right.

Documentation is helpful for historians and serious fans but isn't what determines if some thing is simply a vapid entertainment or Art with a capital A.
Not sure thats valid...as Art is a scam and not really real. Meaning Art is a product or the idea it self is just a result of somebody using the advertising arts to push dumb crap as Art but whatever that's a rabbit hole with no bottom....

I think I get what Louk is trying to say...I think?

I do think somethings are just for the moment and lose importance by being too well documented. The documentation can ruin the rareness the special something that can only be fully experienced as something is happening.

I do agree...document everything you can related to your noise.

As for the list...I asked three people (aged from almost 30 to almost 40) for thier ideas for a top 100 noise list and here's what I got.

1 Hahaha wait til somebody mentions prurient.
2 busy
3 Runzelstern and gurgelstock and a mention of prurient
place holder
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

lol i have loads of prurient albums, and i'm not a fan at all. can't remember why - think i just got offered them and only them in a trade
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Social_Drift wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:19 am lol i have loads of prurient albums, and i'm not a fan at all. can't remember why - think i just got offered them and only them in a trade
I've heard a few tracks but have never really listened to him.
I can't say if I like it or not or if its any good but people seem to really like it.
place holder
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

RUBBISH wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:24 am
Social_Drift wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:19 am lol i have loads of prurient albums, and i'm not a fan at all. can't remember why - think i just got offered them and only them in a trade
I've heard a few tracks but have never really listened to him.
I can't say if I like it or not or if its any good but people seem to really like it.
what are the big three? cocaine death, history of aids, and something else... they're OK, and do something that not much "noise" does, even if that just is blow you the fuck up haha. wish jliat was here to tell us if they were noise or too coherently something [hip?]. i guess i like the spirit of the names: they're stranmge, nominally noise / subversive, and also "him"

i still find Bermuda drain funny af :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

https://www.discogs.com/Prurient-And-St ... 0753?ev=rr

maybe this one, dunno

yo0u have to hand it to him, he's worked with anyone at all, and sold a tonne of noise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominick_Fernow

i'd take him over wolf eyes anytime any place tbh :D