List of most popular noise artists/noise history

Moderator: Modulators

banned
Merzfinity

List of most popular noise artists/noise history

Post by banned »

do you think one day there'll be contentious lists of all time greatest noisers, like they do with guitarists?
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Re: lists

Post by RUBBISH »

Social_Drift wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:22 pm do you think one day there'll be contentious lists of all time greatest noisers, like they do with guitarists?
Yes.
place holder
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

maybe... may be too varied an "art" though

No results found for "100 best electronic music acts".

it's merzbow anyway haha
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

1-100 hn merzbow
1-100 pe whitehouse
1-100 noise GX
1-100 hnw -vomir
1-100 di atrax morgue

imo
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Social_Drift wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:11 pm 1-100 hn merzbow
1-100 pe whitehouse
1-100 noise GX
1-100 hnw -vomir
1-100 di atrax morgue

imo
Basics...

Throbbing Gristle\GenPO
Boyd Rice/NON
Zev
Iannis Xenaksis
Boy Dirt Car
einsturzende neubaten
John Cage
Luigi Russolo

Not gonna argue if its noise avant dada futurist industrial or whatever.
That's for another thread.
place holder
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

pat... not argue?
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Social_Drift wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:44 pm ...
1599157588990.jpg
Viewed 1938 times
place holder
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

I do sometimes wish noise history was as well understood & documented as metal. I wasn't even aware of the significance of Creel Pone, for example, within the canon of noise until two or three years ago. Meanwhile, despite a wide array of styles and regional motifs, things like the differences between black and death metal are very well understood for the most part, and the scene encourages digging deeper to further round out the ancestry of metal music. With noise, I mean, sure we have NoiseWiki, but there's nothing like an Encyclopedia Metallum for noise--which I understand would be a Herculean task in itself--to get a good idea of the "hierarchy" of influences that lead us to, say, the popularity of contemporary cut up noise in the mid-2010s, or why some US noise artists emulated Japanese ones while others took an entirely different route. Also, there's clearly more localized scenes that shape or refine an existing country's sound: Pittsburgh and Portland are two very different cities yet both have yielded their own distinct vibes and interpretations of what "noise" means.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

FAP wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:41 pm With noise, I mean, sure we have NoiseWiki, but there's nothing like an Encyclopedia Metallum for noise--which I understand would be a Herculean task in itself--to get a good idea of the "hierarchy" of influences that lead us to, say, the popularity of contemporary cut up noise in the mid-2010s, or why some US noise artists emulated Japanese ones while others took an entirely different route. Also, there's clearly more localized scenes that shape or refine an existing country's sound: Pittsburgh and Portland are two very different cities yet both have yielded their own distinct vibes and interpretations of what "noise" means.
Well I think there are simply more fans of metal. I wish more people would add to the noisewiki and write articles for it. I have a few dedicated editors .. this one guy has been adding tons of russian acts most of which I would never know about. It's alot of work.

Otherwise you know there are books.. from my understanding there was sort of a weird feedback loop between LAFMS and early japanese groups. I don't know which came first, noise or the egg.

It's hard to objectively determine who the most popular noise artists since there isn't really a Billboard chart for them. You can though use the metric of longevity an output .. past that it can be pretty subjective.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Itxe2x80x99s also difficult to find sources for this stuff. For example, the Hanatarashi bulldozer gig: Ixe2x80x99ve only ever seen a few photos of the alleged event, but wherexe2x80x99s the interviews with Yamantaka EYE or, even better, the club owners? Itxe2x80x99s just commonly accepted as fact. I donxe2x80x99t deny it happened, it just seems like the only articles that refer to it cite other articles about the same thing as proof.